Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Morality of using a Nine Life Stealer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eWizard
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  14:49:44  Show Profile  Visit eWizard's Homepage Send eWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum.

I am a long term roleplayer and am fighting with my consious at the moment over whether using a nine life stealer is OK or not.
This is my predicament...

I can across a Shortsword Nine life stealer some time ago, I now only have 2 "charges" left in it. I am in a strange situation at the moment where I have the oppurtunity to get it "re-charged" by a decidedly dubious character (a lich, its a long story :)

My question to you is:

Is it morally acceptable to get the sword "re-charged" and use it?

One side of me is saying "NOooooo! evil, evil, evil!, the other side is saying "Well a sword is made to kill right! This sword just does it better that most!"

The main underlining issue is that when you kill someone with a "normal" sword there soul / spirit skips of to which ever plane (depending on if they were good or bay boys), but killing someone with a life stealer destroys the soul / spirit (same as finger of death / death spell etc).

What do you think?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:38:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
" This sword is evil, and any good character attempting to wield it gains two negative levels. "

In game terms it is evil to even hold the sword let alone use a charge.

As to morality out of game terms, distroying souls sounds rather evil. It is a double death because if soul is distroyed the character can not be raised. By the way I do not see any text in the SRD about it distoring the soul perventing the rasing of the dead.

If you do not kill the soul, it is just another weapon to be used, the quicker you kill a foe the lessor a chance that foe will kill you.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

eWizard
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:44:01  Show Profile  Visit eWizard's Homepage Send eWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kentinal, thanks for the reply. I play AD&D 2nd edition, there is no mention of it actually being "Evil".
I wasn't looking from a rules / system standpoint.

In my heart I know you are right about it being evil. No good character could justify snuffing out another person / creatures soul.

I suppose I will just have to let it run out :(

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  16:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, well you could let it run out, or simply stop using it altogether. I mean, each use of it's soul-stealing ability is an act of un-mitigated evil and takes a step towards evil.

If I were GM'g, I'd definitely look at pushing a shift to a non-good alignment for ongoing use of such an item.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  16:32:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err I did take a look at 2nd, DMG and the sword appears to be less evil then described in 3rd.

"Sword+2, Nine Lives Stealer: This will always perform as a +2 weapon, but it also has the power to draw the life force from an opponent. It can do this nine times before the ability is lost. A natural 20 must be scored on the wielder's attack roll for the sword to function. The victim is entitled to a saving throw vs. spell. If this succeeds, the sword does not function, no charge is used, and normal damage is determined."

Nor do I see anything preventing a person being killed, from being raised back to life. Though there is a limit on how many times any character can be raised.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  20:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if you roll a natural 20 and they dont make the saving throw it is an instant death?

Are there any benefits from drawing their life force? Like a HP siphon or anything?

I don't play AD&D so I have no idea. I read the novels and played a tiny bit of 2E something like 10 years ago
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, no fringe benefits except that whatever you just hit has a chance of simply falling over dead.

Course from a RP standpoint, your weapon just consumed their soul. This being the case, I could see some dieties/beliefs viewing such a weapon askance.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:21:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

So if you roll a natural 20 and they dont make the saving throw it is an instant death?

Are there any benefits from drawing their life force? Like a HP siphon or anything?

I don't play AD&D so I have no idea. I read the novels and played a tiny bit of 2E something like 10 years ago

In niether 2nd nor 3rd writeups does the user gain any benefit except a dead foe. The 3rd Edition however does indicate the blade is evil to make the sword under 3ed this is what is required:
" Strong necromancy [evil]; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, finger of death; Price 23,057 gp; Cost 11,528 gp 5 sp + 922 XP."

By game rules (3.X) the blade is evil because whom is required to make it, and using death magic. Having never played you should konw that most players consider any time an instant death occurs it was a evil act, *Grin* though mostly they blame the DM/GM for being evil rather then in game reasons for PC death. Even the underlaying spell to craft the blade is not listed as an evil spell. Finger of death, however does have {death} as a descriptor which many PCs consider evil when it happens to them *grin*

They do not worry all that much about when they kill the NPCs.

Also novels certainly can have described the blade indeed more like a soul stealer, caturing or distroying souls. I find nothing in game rules to support this.

The only other way such a blade could be considered evil would taking unfair advantage of the foe. Two 20 level fighters agree to spar with +2 swords, however one is life stealer. This would be an evil act because of hidden ability or at least chaotic, perhaps both.

Edited by - Kentinal on 05 Dec 2005 21:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a player and erstwhile GM, I'd say that anything that falls under the Necromancy category would or reasonably could be considered evil. There are a handful of possible exceptions, but they are still treading the razors edge. (Example: A Necromancy spec mage who uses his knowledge to hunt down and undo the undead. Yeah he's killing the undead but his spells could easily be swayed to the dark side.)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:37:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

As a player and erstwhile GM, I'd say that anything that falls under the Necromancy category would or reasonably could be considered evil.

*chuckles* That discussion/debate/argument belongs to another scroll (sans argument of course, those belong on the boards that are never to be named *wink*)

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  03:21:20  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say, what is your character's alignment. If you as a person disagree with what choice you make, don't do it. In role playing terms, what would a character of similar alignment and in a similar situation react, and act accordingly.

In my job I deal with interpreting laws on a daily basis. one of the pieces of the laws I utilize have a portion in it that asks, what would a reasonable a prudent person do or react, under similiar circumstaces. this leads to what is the norm in society, which you would be able to transfer, using alignment.

My 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  03:58:10  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a character's own judgement call. And depending on how 'good' one is. As for ourselves we would jump at the oppertunity, since, while inherently, perhaps, evil to recharge a dark sword, the logic could displace that if you only use it upon those that commit evil then your sort of doing good (2 negatives = a positive), plus depending on how zealous a character, it might be seen as a blessing to 'keep up the good work'.

However the strife you are feeling is most likely strife that that character is going through (obviously), and thus you could also use that to RP benefit, after all, things would be boring if there was no conflict right? Of course... The Drow hold similar thoughts on the weapon being just better at killing, but that's neither her nor there, right

We suppose the main question her is What alignment and what kind of character is the wielder of the blade?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  04:07:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It realy is not an alignment question in game terms, the player was asking on a different level and already decided it would not be moral to recharge the blade.

Also remember the question was asked in context of 2nd Edition modified rules, or perhaps even late 1st Edition rules as the blade does not eat souls just kills quicker on a good hit and deciding this foe better die quick. At best it can be called dirty fighting which can be considered Evil in some eyes.

3rd Edition clearly makes even holding the blade an act of Evil, the rule set is clear on that.

Edit: A further thought, the use of poison is still considered often (if not always) as an inmoral act (or evil) and life stealing is very much like using death poison, thus many would consider use of the blade inmoral, let alone recharging the blade. *Grin*

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 Dec 2005 04:17:29
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  04:10:42  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah first edition, Where there was only Law, Chaos and that inbetween..
"Good. Bad. I'm the Guy with the Gun."

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  08:52:14  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning a soul to the wheel of being, so that it may learn from its errors in a new life? Ethically shady, but excuseable under duress.

Taking a soul out of the cycle, forever? That's pretty evil. And Kelemvor isn't going to like that.

From where I am sitting anyway, no - you don't want to recharge that thing. You want to let a skilled, ethical mage unmake it.

Edit - Oh, and welcome to the Forums!

Edited by - Vangelor on 06 Dec 2005 08:53:52
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  04:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happens to these souls. Do they remain inside the sword or does it basically eat or destroy the soul? Also is this sword sentient (spelling error?) or is it just a +2 sword with an added ability. Sorry for all the questions, I don't get to play the game and this sword interests me.

From the description I have read of this sword I can't see someone of a good alignment using this sword with the knowledge of what it can do. Someone of a more neutral alignment I could see using it.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  04:59:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to see if I can dig up an old 1st Edition DMG. I could have sworn at some point in time the item description said that the sword actually traps the souls within the weapon itself, meaning that its not so much that the item has charges, but that it can only hold nine souls . . . I'll see if I can find one (my friend keeps everything).
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  05:29:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Edition

quote:
Sword +2, Nine Lives Stealer, will always perform as a +2 weapon, but it also has the power to draw the life force from an opponent, and it can do so only for a total of 9 times before the ability is lost]. A natural 20 must be scored on the wielder's 'to hit' die roll for the sword to function. The opponent is entittled to a saving throw verus magic in such cases, and if it is successful the sword does not funtion, no charge is used, and normal damage is determined.

So at best the sword drew life froce from traget, nothing in this text says it keeps it or distroys it *wink*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000