Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep Site Update (13 December 2005)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  11:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Ahhh, yet more new scrolls and tomes for thee to feast thine eyes upon. This is the last site update of 2005, and as part of this, an extra special gift for the festive season, with Volume IV of the Candlekeep Compendium. This volume focuses on dragons of the Realms.

Many thanks to those who have submitted their work for this site update and to all the scribes who worked very hard on the Compendium.

1) The Candlekeep Compendium - Volume IV is released! The latest tome of Realmslore, produced at Candlekeep is now available. Featuring excellent articles of Realmslore penned by some of our resident scribes, there should be something for everyone. Many hours of work have gone into producing this collection, we hope you enjoy the wealth of information within. This volume is a special edition and focus on dragon-related aspects of the Realms.

2) Updated product information pages for Power of Faerūn, Ghostwalker, Homeland TPB comic, Exile TPB comic and Champions of Valor.

3) Maps of the ground floor and first floor of 'The Yawning Portal', by Brian Schutte - located in The Map Room.

4) The first entries in a new and interesting article of lore, by Jared Rascher: Legendary Monsters and Myths of Faerūn - located in the Traveler's Notebooks section.

5) Added Prestige Classes and Feats summaries from Champions of Valor.

As always, these items can be viewed directly via links on the Home Page and News page.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  07:17:27  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Wonderful, truly wonderful to have such an offering as the CC4 available to read. If only I had the time now - working retail at this time of year is none-to-pleasant!

However - in preparation to reading this - I was printing it. For some reason - I can't get it to print page 30. No matter how many times I shut the computer down - go in an open it up - and then choose print starting (and ending) at page 30 - it always says there is a failure - and its shutting the program (the Reader) down.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  17:47:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Wonderful, truly wonderful to have such an offering as the CC4 available to read. If only I had the time now - working retail at this time of year is none-to-pleasant!

However - in preparation to reading this - I was printing it. For some reason - I can't get it to print page 30. No matter how many times I shut the computer down - go in an open it up - and then choose print starting (and ending) at page 30 - it always says there is a failure - and its shutting the program (the Reader) down.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Dhomal

I didn't have that issue when I printed the rough draft out, so I could edit it... I just had to make sure I was printing it when a certain person wasn't at work to complain!

Is your Adobe Acrobat up to date? It's up to 7.0.5 right now. I know that at work (I'm an IT guy), I've seen odd problems with pdf files that were readily solved by going up to the most recent version of Adobe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:04:07  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Ah - and IT guy - a person to which I am definately in awe of. :)

Not sure on the adobe version - I'll look into it. Question on that - is it at all likely that the computer might have issues with a newer version - or is the memory-usage similar? I ask because I'm not using my own computer - Mine has been down since the beginning of Sept - and I'm making my way around the 'net on my GF's computer - which is - ah - not as new as mine - which by the way - is about 4-5 yaers old....

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:09:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a fellow IT-guy, I can tell you that this could sometimes also be a possibility... although, considering what you've already told us and looking over the Furry Hamster's reply, I'm finding myself agreeing with the Adobe version solution.

You are using an older computer, so the Adobe program is likely an older version -- perhaps around ver. 5-to-6 maybe. I know those versions before 6 have some problems with reading characters in previous volumes of the Compendium as I've had to help other scribes out through PMs when their older versions of the Reader encountered problems also.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2005 04:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:55:23  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I did some checking - and updated my Reader - but it seems I can only upgrade it a little bit. It was 5.0.1 - and now its 5.0.5. My problem is that this computer is only Windows 98 - so I guess I'll have to upgrade my own computer! When I can I guess. I hope page 30 is not the best page of the lot!

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:59:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's sounds about right.

You can fudge the Adobe itself to ver. 6 under Win 98... but it takes a bit of mouse work and keyboard tinkering. If you're up for it, I can tell you how. Alternatively, an OS upgrade might be the better idea -- since most new PDFs now designed take the newer versions into account. If you want to continue reading new PDFs in the future, you're going to need newer versions of Adobe.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2005 05:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:09:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the memory usage is all that different... I can't say that for certain, of course, but there's not been any problems with installing newer versions of Adobe on any of the work machines, and some of them are 4 or 5 years old (though we're slowly phasing them out).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:17:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think the memory usage is all that different...
Ordinarily, it isn't... but processors and memory cards are fickle aspects of modern technology -- I've seen them do strange and unusual things when connected to overworked and overwhelmed LANs.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  04:47:30  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - as an OS upgrade is not really in the cards at the moment - I guess I should try and tinker a bit!

So - I'll gladly take your instructions! I follow instructions well - so hopefully it will not be too difficult.

The only other concern would be if there is any chance of hurting the computer in any other way during this 'tinkering'.

Thanks again!

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  07:37:00  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Also - I was wondering - if someone could post page 30 of CC4 in a more user-friendly format - just so that I could print it out and keep it with the rest - until I get to the point where I can print out the original version.

Thanks.

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  08:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello-

Also - I was wondering - if someone could post page 30 of CC4 in a more user-friendly format - just so that I could print it out and keep it with the rest - until I get to the point where I can print out the original version.

Thanks.

Dhomal

Well met

Certainly. I'll send a scroll over to ye later today, Dhomal I wouldn't want ye to miss out on valuable lore

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  10:03:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo,
I'm currently working on an Excel file that has nearly all the monsters from all the "Core" books, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron.
This is about 2/3 of the way complete. Was doing so well until I hit the Animals/Vermin section of the MM 3.5, and am now struggling with it once I struggle through that, I will have about a dozen more books to check for monsters in, and they are mainly sourcebooks, so shouldn't be too much longer after that.
There will be several books not included in this since I do not own them: Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, Races of Destiny, All the Eberron books (except the campaign book).

I have already sent Kuje a partial listing of it so far, and he said it looked pretty good thus far.

Would it be possible for Candlekeep to host this once I get it completed?

Thanks,

Warlockco
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  12:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Alaundo,
I'm currently working on an Excel file that has nearly all the monsters from all the "Core" books, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron.
This is about 2/3 of the way complete. Was doing so well until I hit the Animals/Vermin section of the MM 3.5, and am now struggling with it once I struggle through that, I will have about a dozen more books to check for monsters in, and they are mainly sourcebooks, so shouldn't be too much longer after that.
There will be several books not included in this since I do not own them: Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, Races of Destiny, All the Eberron books (except the campaign book).

I have already sent Kuje a partial listing of it so far, and he said it looked pretty good thus far.

Would it be possible for Candlekeep to host this once I get it completed?

Thanks,

Warlockco

Well met

Certainly, Warlockco. I have long wished for a complete list of creatures of the Realms. I'd be interested to see the level of detail thou hast gone to with this

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  16:27:38  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Many thanks Alaundo - I will await said scroll so that I may print it out - and add it to the CC4 where it belongs!

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  18:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello-

Many thanks Alaundo - I will await said scroll so that I may print it out - and add it to the CC4 where it belongs!

Dhomal

Well met

My apologies, Dhomal. All these last minute preparations for the year end made my mind addled. I have sent the scroll over to thee just now. Please PM\Email me if this still caused thee problems.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly