Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Spellbooks of Faerun Feedback Thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  07:06:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all. I was just wondering what any of you thought of my Spellbooks of Faerun article in the last issue of the Candlekeep Compendium. Did you like it? Did you like the mechanics of the spells? Did you like the history of the spellbook itself?

In the future, what kind of spells would you like to see? What race would you like to see produce a spellbook of this kind (I am trying to create some spellbooks from races not normally associated with producing famous spellbooks, to give some of the articles an interesting hook).

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  13:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey KEJR

I'm just working my way through the compendium over the past few days (excellent work everyone and I congratulate you all for all the work you have put into this collection. Just when I thought it couldn't get better than volume 3...)

I did read your article though (as i'm not reading them in order as they appear) and really enjoyed it. I love the mix of rules and background too and even though i'm not fully familiar with D&D rules at the moment, I really liked the spells. Well done. It's a very worth addition to the compendium!

So from your comment, I gather you'll be doing more spellbooks for the series? Cool! Personally, i'd love to see a spellbook which was stolen from a Zhentarim mage, or similar, by a spy at Darkhold\Zhentil Keep

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  13:28:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it could have used a bit more history, but I otherwise liked the article. The actual construction of the book was original and creative, and the spells were pretty good.

How about a gnomish spellbook, with nifty new illusions? Or a halfling spellbook, filled with spells that make the caster comfortable and/or help evade pursuit? Or -- and I like this one! -- what about a spellbook that dates back to when ogres and orcs had an empire in Thar? A spellbook written in the ogre tongue would surprise PCs...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  16:18:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . a spellbook from Thar . . . perhaps you should ask Alaudo what I submitted for issue V.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  03:29:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you know I'll see it sooner or later...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  04:13:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spellbook of spells from the Shoon or one of the Netherese survivor states (Asram, Anauria, Hlondath) would be interesting as well.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  05:47:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A loremaster's spellbook perhaps... A scribe's from Candlekeep? Divination-based magics...

I'd like to see some updated details regarding a Zulkir's travelling spellbook.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know but what about a spellbook from a giant mage or something? The giants don't get enough lubbin!

Or maybe even a loxo (the elephant people) spellbook would be fun.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  17:49:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

Or maybe even a loxo (the elephant people) spellbook would be fun.

Ooh, that could be interesting... I've always liked the loxo. Ditto for wemics.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  18:39:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Draycons and Giff?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  19:22:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

A Giff spellbook would be interesting, and full of lots of spells that go BOOM! But both races are Spelljammer races, not FR...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  22:41:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather than a racial spellbook, I'd like to see a cultural "spellbook". Of course, I may just write something myself now that I'm thinking about it. For instance, a book on Raumathari magics... one that would delve into the idea that not all Raumathari Battlemages were the same thing. Sure, most were fighters who turned wizard and then took the Raumathari Battlemage class... but perhaps there were others who focused on runes and symbol magic... and the witches of Rashemen were definitely involved with Raumathar, but they weren't the battlemages... then, were there incarnum wielders? Psions? Warrior-bards? Was Mystra worshipped at all? How did they become so involved with soul magic?
Something similar could be done for Narfell, Imaskar, Halruaa, Nimbral and even modern Thay and Calimshan. These are areas for which little has been established for their history, while at the same time they display many cultural interests in magic. While Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Tethyr, Cormyr, etc... display a strong leaning towards magic, they tend towards "magic is done like this, and we teach you here". These other areas are where you would find the exotic... and quite possibly a mix of the exotic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  00:19:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

C-Fb

A Giff spellbook would be interesting, and full of lots of spells that go BOOM! But both races are Spelljammer races, not FR...

Considering the Giff are also mercenaries... I would suppose a giff wizard's spellbook would have plenty of incantations pilfered from numerous arcane clients -- or perhaps has asked for new spells in return for services rendered.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:07:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some ideas rolling around about fire and frost giant spell books taht I may end up putting to electronic media. Thanks for ideas guys, and keep them coming . . .
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:23:34  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C-Fb

I could have sworn that some of the Giff had come to Faerun?? I thought that they had arrived near Waterdeep, since in 2E, that was a major spaceport.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  02:01:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep being a major spaceport was more of a Spelljammer thing than it was a FR thing, meaning that Spelljammer lore said so but FR lore didn't really back it up (kinda like Nimbral being a major spaceport, which Ed's recent articles didn't even mention).

Either way, so far as I know, there are not that many giff in the Realms. In canon, I only know of one, and he's dead. I wouldn't imagine that there's enough giff in the Realms for them to count as a Realms race.

Looking at the Spacefarer's Handbook, giff are a non-magical race, and have problems using magical items. Their only available classes in 2E were fighter and thief.

Since 3E has done away with restrictions like those, I'd say that any giff spellcasters would be exceedingly rare. Of the few spellcasters that you could find, clerics (of war deities, most likely) would be a lot more common than mages.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  02:29:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention Warmages from Complete Arcane/Miniatures Handbook would likely be more up their alley than standard wizardry . . . but you have to love hippo men . . . Diamondtip was my favorite though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  03:27:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Waterdeep being a major spaceport was more of a Spelljammer thing than it was a FR thing, meaning that Spelljammer lore said so but FR lore didn't really back it up (kinda like Nimbral being a major spaceport, which Ed's recent articles didn't even mention).

Either way, so far as I know, there are not that many giff in the Realms. In canon, I only know of one, and he's dead. I wouldn't imagine that there's enough giff in the Realms for them to count as a Realms race.
That fact that spelljamming is still an active component in the 3e Realms however, continues to allow for the opportunity of other giff to have popped up across Faerun from time to time.

And given their mercenary leanings... maybe -

quote:

Since 3E has done away with restrictions like those, I'd say that any giff spellcasters would be exceedingly rare. Of the few spellcasters that you could find, clerics (of war deities, most likely) would be a lot more common than mages.
As bodyguards for personages of wealth and/or prestige in the Realms.

The giff are always there for those who can afford them .

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2005 03:30:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000