Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How long to finish reading a novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  14:50:35  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How long does it take you to finish reading a novel? Say an average 300+ page paperback.

Edited by - RodOdom on 02 Mar 2006 14:51:25

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  14:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many variables involved, that there is no way I could give you even an estimate. But I'm curious as to why you would ask this question?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  15:23:46  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get back into the FR novels, but at the rate I am (about one a month) I don't think I'll ever catch up !
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  15:24:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

There are so many variables involved, that there is no way I could give you even an estimate. But I'm curious as to why you would ask this question?

Ditto for me as well. It varies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  15:32:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ditto for me as well. It varies.

I'd have to say that goes for me as well.

Although favorite authors is usually one strong variable that can affect my reading rate. For example, being a big fan of both Ed and Elaine -- I finished CoS in just two and a bit days.

Steven's upcoming Blackstaff novel will likely see one of my fastest reading rates ever. I'm going to try and finish it within a day .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2006 15:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  15:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I'm trying to get back into the FR novels, but at the rate I am (about one a month) I don't think I'll ever catch up !

This is not a bad thing. This is a blessing! At your rate of reading there will always been available books for you to read in the realms. I’m pretty far behind, and trying to catch up also. While sometimes it’s frustrating that I haven’t read all the shiny new stuff right when it comes out (and miss out on the topical discussion of the novel) I also realize that there are so many volumes of realms books, just there to pluck up at my leisure with none of that pesky waiting to see what happens next for six months until the next book comes out.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:01:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me this varies, but on average I'd say three hours spread out over 2 to 4 days, unless it's a book I've really been looking forward too, or one which really grips me, in which case I'll unplug the phone and plough straight through it

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:08:10  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm generally a slow to average reader as far as most books are concerned. however with realms books i seem to zip through them. i try to read at least one or two chapters a day for books with longer chapters (no stopping in the middle). and shorter chaptered books, well they're harder to put down. you read a chapter that's four pages and you say "i can't stop there", and so on. the next thing you know you have knocked off sixty pages. i do this only because i am enjoying the text so much. ultimately, go at a pace that you enjoy and absorb the content best. i find forgotten realms novels impossible to put down so i go at a faster pace, but to each their own. take your time and take it all in.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:14:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
At your rate of reading there will always been available books for you to read in the realms.

Good point !
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It takes about 6 or so hours of reading time to finish the average paperback for me. How long it takes me to get that 6 hours in is the variable part. I've had books that it's taken me literally 2-3 months to finally finish. However, when I get into a heavy reading kick, I can usually do a book a night.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with most other posters, it varies depending on the book/author.

For example, I finished the Finders Stone Trilogy recently (Greatful for the recommendation by Wooly Rupert) in a weekend. And the Cleric Quintet took me months. It's all about how much you get into a book. For instance, some non-realms novels such as Song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time are the length of 3 or 4 realms books but I tend to finish them in about the same amount of time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  17:18:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read quickly, but I don't often have time to read... Plus, when I do get a chance to read, there's usually multiple things for me to read. It's not uncommon for me to read a novel while eating, manga before going to bed, and a magazine while in my "reading room".

A 300-page book I can do in a week or two, reading just a little here and a little there. Now, if I've got plenty of time, it's a whole different story. After Hurricane Frances, I had no power for a week, and my place of work was powerless, too. I was single at the time, and since I didn't know I was getting paid for that time off, I was staying home and doing nothing. That gave me plenty of time to read. I was prolly doing about 700 or 800 pages a day, since reading was my only option for passing the time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Mar 2006 17:20:40
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  18:09:22  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all of my variables it takes me about one to two weeks to read a Realms book. I'm married with 3 kids (all under the age of 5) and one on the way and a full time job with plenty of forced overtime so I'm just getting slapped around by variables

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  19:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine kind of varies as well. with going to college full time, working part time, and trying to find the time to read between studying, it can be difficult.

My average reading time though, varies between a couple of days to a week at the latest. I find that any of the FR books I can read in a few days. The max, like I said, is about a week. (That's how long it took me to read the last novel).

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I have a lot of free time, I can usually get through a standard novel in about one week. But I don't have spare time like I used to. When I was unemployed, I *could* just spend a lot of time reading. Now that I work full time...well, I think you get my point. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i finish a book in about a month... Would have loved to read them faster. Hard to keep up with all the great books.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:37:46  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the book, the author and my availability. I've read a full novel in one day...and it has taken me weeks to finish a book.

Also, it depends on the style of writing. I read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy over the course of about two months. I read The Finder's Stone Trilogy over the course of two weeks. It has nothing to do with whether I liked one set of books better, but rather how dense and detailed the writing is and, as I mentioned above, how much time I have to actually sit and read.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me its generaly 3 weeks to a month, english is not my first language so I'm a bit slow to make sure I miss nothing. Some authors are easier to read for me, probably du to the choice of words they made. On the other hand, when I read a new word, even if I have to read the sentence two time to understand, it's slower but a good way to improve me...

The other thing is that I never have enough time to read
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  02:03:43  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Takes 4-6 hours depending on the book.

Let's see, this week so far:

Saturday: Midnight's Mask by Paul Kemp
Sunday: Ghostwalker by Erik Scott De Bie
Road to Death by Matt Forbeck
Monday: City of Towers by Keith Baker
Tuesday: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
Wednesday: Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

I usually average 3 books a week, but visited the bookstore Saturday, so it's been a busy one.

Then again, I was a lit major and if you can get through Finnegan's Wake in 4 weeks, reading a realms novel is a vacation.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally, common meduim sized paperback novels for me takes about 2-3 days, average of 2.5 days at most. For those paperback novels that are as thick as Evermeet, it would take about 3 days at least. For I always find time to read and complete reading these FR novels on time.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically read at least one per week. Depending on my breaks at school, which are sometiems three hours between class, I can finish a book in two sittings.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  15:01:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it varies greatly upon what is happening in RL. kids, wife, work, blah, blah, blah. I would say about 2 weeks, but I normally am reading more than one book at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  15:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I forgot to mention that some books just hook me and I will power through them. I read Ghostwalker in one day and then the next week I read Taste of Venom in one day.
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty lucky in that I frequently find myself with alot of free time in the course of the work day. I can read 300 pages in about an hour and a half if left unbothered be real life. I read all the Harper books in 2 days during a slow week at work.

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  22:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fast reader (though not as fast as some here), and I'm also a very focused person. This leads to problems in books, since once I start a book I like (which includes most Realms books), I pretty much keep going until I finish it. That's usually 4-7 hours for your average length novel.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  00:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the Moonshae Trilogy within a few hours. About on Average I can read a single FR novel in close to an hour.
Go to Top of Page

fitz
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  10:44:38  Show Profile  Visit fitz's Homepage Send fitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me that's sometimes a week, as the Erevis Trilogy (per book) and sometimes a month, three weeks. Never more because I increase my reading at the beginning, and at the end, if I like the book, I don't slow in the middle.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  22:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A whole novel in an hour? That is insane, I would personally never remember any of it. I could probally finish one in 3-4 hours
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  22:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 4-5 hours

When I read a book the world could come to an end and I wouldnt notice (At least thats what Ive been told!)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  02:26:06  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2-3 days, I usually can't sit still long enough to kill a book in 1 sitting.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  07:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of the other posters (postees?), it depends on what I have to do and what mood I am in. In 'good' times I average a nove in 1-2 days. There are exceptions however... Wheel of Time1 I've been 'reading' for about half a year of longer now, as it really bores the hell out of me. A regular FR novel takes a day (on a good day).

But I think that at your pace with one book a month you should really count yourself lucky:

a) you can pick the time when you read a series (trilogy or whatnot), preferably when they all have been released.
b) your book-budget is lower than ours (the fast reader type)
c) (goes hand in hand with a) you spare yourself the frustration of having to wait for the sequel/end of a story.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000