Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragon Magazine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danifae
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  03:25:51  Show Profile  Visit danifae's Homepage Send danifae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

over the past few years I bought my Dragon magazine in stores if I saw something of FR on the cover (it's the only D&D thing that I'm interested in at the moment) I'm now thinking of getting a subscription, but would like some advice. I'm only really interested in the FR stuff, would it be worth it getting the magazine just for that? Or just to buy some lone issues.

Thanks,
Max

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  08:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No

Paizo have a long history of screwing the realms you will be lucky if you get 2 Realms articles in a 12 month period.

In the last year Dragon has given realms fans exactly that 2 articles

Georges article in Impiltur (Dragon 346)

Elaines article on the Waterdeep Bards college (Dragon 335)

Yes thats an 11 month gap between Realms articles and thats why I have no intention of getting a Dragon subscription

PS Dungeons not much better the latest Dungeon 137 has a Realms Module but you'll have to go back 7 months to Dungeon 130 for another

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  09:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That said, many of the articles can be converted for use in FR, and there has been some FR Fiction published in the magazines (Wizard Three by Ed Greenwood and Rivals by Richard Lee Byers) if your into that sort of thing.

While not a subscriber (living in the UK) ive bought it every month, and throughly enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  11:20:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Uzzy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  13:48:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agrees with Wooly and Uzzy.

If you're flexible with the D&D rules as a whole, you can normally find something of use in non-FR-related DRAGON articles... for use in your campaigns.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  23:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto's are bad form on message board, but I humbly commit the faux-pas as my experience with Dungeon Magazine (and to a lesser extent Dragon) has been hugely positive and beneficial to my Realms Campaign.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

danifae
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  19:57:23  Show Profile  Visit danifae's Homepage Send danifae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm will still think about this, but Uzzy and Dargoth's comments will be considered. (and the others 2)
Thank you for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  01:14:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternatively, you can just pick and choose from available back issues with FR content you might be interested in.

Use the DragonDex:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/

Look up specific FR articles in particular issues and then head over to paizo.com to order them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  02:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I let my subscription lapse because of scarcity of Realms articles, but I find quite a few of the others of interest and I'd resubscribe if I had more space to put the magazines.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  08:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Whilst not answering the particular question raised here, I picked up this months Dragon yesterday and couldn't help but think it felt considerably thinner. Is it just me or has the page count decreased somewhat? (I don't have a previous issue to hand to check, although I think I recall last month being the first "thin" issue).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  01:20:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many pages was it? #333 (to pick one off the shelf) had 108 (including the spine and cover).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  20:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I let my subscription to Dungeon lapse, but not Dragon. As long as I play D&D, I'll keep my subscription to Dragon. That being said, don't expect a plethora of Realms material, but I do think the Realms material that is published is quite good. The magazine does not print enough Realms material, but I think Mona understands what Realms fans want to see. And yes, the other material is easy to convert to the Realms or it can be used as-is with no conversion.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  01:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

How many pages was it? #333 (to pick one off the shelf) had 108 (including the spine and cover).

Well met

Apologies, Kajehase, I completely missed thy request until just seeing Xysma's pennings herein.

I have issue 346 here, which is 98 pages.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's not a bunch of Realms stuff, but some of the other features make up for it. Plus, OOTS is the back page now.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  18:58:37  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave up on Realms only stuff in dungeon and dragon a long time ago. I've found Dragon a constant enjoyment for it's short stories and the prestige classes or spells. Dungeon, well doesn't really suit me, I usually only buy it if it's got Realms stuff in it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  20:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2004 and 2005 Dragon had less Realms content than any time since #32. Erik Mona has said he wants to remedy that, and we've seen signs of it. At the same time, we're not likely to get the level of support we'd like because Erik is primarily a Greyhawk fan and has many priorities to juggle, and because of the (I think mistaken) idea that material for a named setting is less convertible to others than material set in a brand-new setting we know nothing about ('generic' articles).

Dungeon, on the other hand, has as much good Realms stuff now as it ever had.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000