Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Any helpful Hint in being a DM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malici
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2003 :  23:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Malici's Homepage Send Malici a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well i just recently DM'd my first official game. I was wondering if anyone out there could throw some hints my way. I appreciate anything you are willing to share. I have always been a strong player but have been intimidated to take that step up to be a DM. Anything you can give me will be appreciated.

Malici Thornbird

The_Mirt
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  00:34:58  Show Profile  Visit The_Mirt's Homepage Send The_Mirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Attempt to not let your Group split its self, This is a terrible headache. If the group is split, do not let one group sit idle for more than 15minutes.

Go back through your game (If you make them) and add Detail. Tell them what each character is dressed in. Most people that I have ever DM'd for love detail.

Do not 'just' do dungeon crawls. Try different approaces to game, solve a mystery etc. If you kill monsters all the time, your people will start getting bored of fighting.

Add Doors in your dungeons with Riddles to open them, this will use your players brain a little more than them just saying 'attack'.

I hope this helps.

~Mirt
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  00:50:48  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beware the rules lawyers, beware the power gamers, beware the DMs as players who say "I don't do it that way in my game."

And don't be afraid to admit you're wrong when you really are, but also don't be afraid to say, "It's my game" if the issue is not clear cut, and move on.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 29 Mar 2003 22:29:02
Go to Top of Page

The_Mirt
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  04:26:16  Show Profile  Visit The_Mirt's Homepage Send The_Mirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of something else.
Do not let players buy magic items, other than Potions. If you do let them buy magic items, dont let the buy them over a set amount of money. In My game, I do not let players buy magic items over 3000gp. This really cuts down on the 'Powergaming'.

~Mirt
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  06:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a gamer or DM, and never have been. (Well, not offically, but the DM wasn't "real.") However, I have some thoughts.

A DM is not just a scorekeeper and moderator. You are also a narrator, a storyteller. Don't be afraid to do descriptions. Don't say it's a big room. Tell them what sort of room. It's like the difference between a computer wireframe and that grand hall of Moria in the movie version of The Fellowship of the Ring.

But don't go overboard. Show is better than tell, but tell is better than bore. Get the feel for your group's limits.

Reward good role-playing during the games. The characters have a history, and act certain ways; reward those who know their characters well. (But don't encourage overboard playing.)

Penalize use of knowledge that the character shouldn't have (ie, character knowing the exact details of a monster's weakness, even though (s)he hasn't run into it or learned about it beforehand). A character hasn't read Monsters of Faerun.

Use plots and puzzles that encourage the players to work together. If the thief is always getting them out, remove that character (knock him/her unconcious).

Don't use just one riddle for passage -- ask one for each person, and only that person can answer it. This will cause other players who figure it out to have to find ingenious ways of giving another clues.

Encourage players to act in a kind way. People who are uncuth and rude, either to NPCs or in real life, should get more trouble. The charitable get more experience points and a better reputation.

Don't use too many models. Figurines are okay, but don't use lots of scenery. Encourage use of imagination.

Don't let players show up in constume, unless everyone does. It just encourages anti-RPG behavior, and sets that player apart from the rest of the group.

Okay, I think I've rambled enough. I'll let a real DM talk.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  12:35:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good input Bookwyrm, we'll make a DM out of you yet. I'll add a little tip as well:

If as a person you're not a great improviser, prepare! Preparation helps you deal with most situations in the game. Don't prepare situations in detail - often wasted time as players decide to do things different then the DM intended - but try to prepare alternatives to situations. What-if scenarios if you'd like, these help you manage the game more fluent.
Go to Top of Page

The_Mirt
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  14:17:13  Show Profile  Visit The_Mirt's Homepage Send The_Mirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to Mumadar's Tip: This is a excellent tip, If you know your group real well, you will know most of the 'What if they do this' things that pop up.

If you create one story line that you want them to follow, give them options so that they do not feel they are being 'herded' but let the options that you give lead back into the story line.

If this does not make sense to you, disregard this post, its hard to explain.

~Mirt
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  14:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not a DM, either, but I can chip in a few things.

First of all, (like Bookwyrm said) don't allow your players to use metagame thinking, or let them use knowledge that their characters don't have. Also, try to get a feel for the kind of game your players would like. You are in charge of the game, but it is something that should be fun for all the players involved. Try to keep the characters balanced, so you'll have to decide on not allowing certain things and try to keep the characters at a relatively equal level. Also, try to be as descriptive as possible (without being boring like Bookwyrm said), because you, as the dungeon master, have to be the players' eyes and ears. Finally, try to keep things challenging, but not overwhelming for the characters.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  16:44:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An other thing. At low level make them fell what they are. As they increase in level, they'll be more popular. Make some NPCs that know what the players did (sometimes as legend : "So you killed a great wyrm with your bare fists?!")

Also try to add some not-in-the-adventure stories: the bard of the taverns talk about wars in the far east...

That will liven up your game
Go to Top of Page

Malici
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2003 :  08:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Malici's Homepage Send Malici a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone Im getting a lot of great tips. Thanks again

Malici Thornbird
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000