Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Wacky dice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  19:56:14  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If anyone, especially Alaundo, feels this topic is not one for this forum, or even for this site, let me know and I'll delete my post assuming the moderators don't close it first.

While reading "Dice or decision?", I saw Yasraena's comment about the D100 (the 100-sided Zocchihedron, made by Lou Zocchi.) I also have one and never use it. But it makes me think if other dice you may have that you especially like or dislike.

Favorites: I have two 8-sided dice that have pips instead of numbers. I have a "4"-sided die that is an 8-sider numbered 1-4 twice.
I have two "3"-sided dice, 6-siders numbered 1-3 twice.
I have several Gamescience 10/20-siders. These are 20-sided dice numbered 0-9 twice, with a "+" on half of the numbers to indicate 11-20.
And my favorites are my "porcelin" "10"-siders, the old fashioned kind with 20 sides numbered 0-9 twice.

A friend of mine has two 10-siders than have pips. I'd like to find a pair of those somewhere.

Dumb dice I never use that I bought "just beause": in addition to the Zocchihedron, I have round 6-siders with a weight inside to make them stop rolling, I have 6-siders the size of peas (and smaller), averaging 6-sided dice, weather dice, alignment dice, "door" dice (locked, trapped, etc.) I have 6-siders the sie of a golf ball (they are square, though), plus other junk I can't remember now.

Edited in response to zemd:

I also have a 30-sided die. I have no wooden dice.

The people who sold the 30-sided die in the US published charts and tables for use with it, none of which I have. The only use I get out of it is rolling random days of the month. Needless to say, nothing ever happens on the 31st day of any month.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 03 Apr 2003 22:36:37

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  21:57:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Dice made in wood and a 30 sides dice (unusable)
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  22:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 6-sided dice which is round (though it has some kind of mechanism inside it in order to eventually stop it on a number...I saw all kinds of dice for sale at a fair once - many weird and wonderful ones!

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  03:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

I have several Gamescience 10/20-siders. These are 20-sided dice numbered 0-9 twice, with a "+" on half of the numbers to indicate 11-20.
And my favorites are my "porcelin" "10"-siders, the old fashioned kind with 20 sides numbered 0-9 twice.

Hey Bran - Know where I can find any of these? I haven't seen them at any game store from California to New Jersey I've visited in the last 3 years! HELP!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Xaralin
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  04:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Xaralin's Homepage Send Xaralin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen seen twenty sided dice bigger than a fist, and electronic dice.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  05:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I mentioned on the topic Branmakmuffin referred to, I've got two eight-sided dice from another game entirely. It's a board game, not an RPG, my parents bought for me and my sister so we'd learn more geography. (Didn't work for her. Apparently it's uncool to know things. )

Anyway, each die has six colors (red, yellow, green, blue, orange, and purple), an airplane, and the words "Take Off" (meaning draw).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  07:41:30  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xaralin

I have seen seen twenty sided dice bigger than a fist, and electronic dice.

I've got one (but not that big!) and i played once with a football balloon size 6 sided dice (eng?)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  08:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you might mean an inflatable six-sided die the size of a football (soccer ball, for us uneducated Americans ). Am I right?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  13:13:01  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what i meant, i also forgot that you call 'football' 'soccer' (i love your fotball, 49ers rules )

ouch

er... yes, 49ers are the fantasy football team of Candlekeep..
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  00:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what? I don't. Heh, I don't like team sports very much. Things with more skill and artistry (like figure skating) are better.

Yes, I know, I'm betraying all of us with Y-chromosomes. So sue me.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  06:54:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think figure skating is pretty darn boring.... Unless there is a Remorhaz chasing the figure skater.

I hate team sports myself, especially when they involve OVERPAID athletes. The individual sports I appreciate are on the line of fencing. Figure skating takes skill yes, but it is essentially dancing, and I HATE dancing.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  11:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I like fencing too -- especially saber fencing. I just picked figure skating since it's usually what people think of as "not a sport!"

Now, back on the subject of dice. Or in this case, the shapes thereof.

I found something interesting. There are five "perfect" mathematical shapes, all of which were known to the ancient Babylonians, Egyptions, and Greeks. These three-dimentional shapes had two things in common: from any angle, they always apeared the same; and the relationship of angles added up to 360 degrees, or that of a circle. These are called the Platonic Solids, after (who else?) Plato.

Hmm, these sound familiar. A four-sided shape . . . six . . . eight . . . twenty . . . where have I seen these?

The odd one out is the twelve-sider, which I don't think is used in RPGs (or at least not in D&D).

Now, here's the stuff I thought would be interesting for my fellow scribes. Plato assigned metaphysical attributes to each of these shapes. The tetrahedron (commonly known as a d4 in these parts) represented the element Fire. The hexahedron (d6) is Earth. The octahedron (d8) is Air. And the icosahedron is Water.

The odd one out, again, is the twelve-sider, the dodecahedron. This is the non-physical element, representing the entire universe to Plato. In other words, the ether. It has also been called the element of the Spirit or the Mind.

Anyway, I just thought that you people might find this as interesting as I do.

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  11:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting stuff Bookwyrm! I have a couple of 12-siders which are used in the games "Dragon Strike" and "First Quest" ...although they aren't FR or indeed full D&D they were produced by TSR and use a lot of similar lore - has anyone else heard of/played these?

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  22:08:38  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a web site that sells d5s, d7s, d16s and d24s, not to mention other oddball dice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000