Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Underdark Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings,

A recent Underdark campaign I was involved in has just recently finished. I am going to be posting some tales from this adventure soon, but before that I would like to spend some time, posting some special house rules, homebrew spells and weapons, which were used in the campaign. I encourage constructive criticism but please be aware that some of the rules and weapons presented are not always of my own contruction and may actually be of a friends design (whose permission I have to post for them), but I will detail my own creations where appropriate.

I will try to update on a semi-regular basis

Thanks all...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Apr 2003 10:44:16

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:43:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's get started.

The first item is a weapon - Dark Elven Scimitar

Damage: 1d8+1 (mithril) +1 enchanted
Weight: 3lbs
Type: Slashing
Special: Ability to be quickdrawn

This dark elven scimitar is a deadly sword made with a beautiful design. As a special feature to this sword, along the wooden hand-grip, there is a metal hand-guard with 4 steel points protruding outwards at a length of 5cms. This guard can be used to cause piercing damage at a value of 1d2 for each point, only when the handle is used as a punching weapon.

These blades are carried only by the Drow Houses' Elite guard. They can only be created by the most skilled swordsmiths from each House, and are therefore considered to be masterwork blades, They cannot be purchased and are not normally sold to market.

That's it for now, tell me what you think.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  21:13:24  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage of Perth:
quote:
<snip>
Special: Ability to be quickdrawn
<snip>
That's it for now, tell me what you think.

Most any weapon can be quickdrawn. There's a Feat called Quickdraw, I think.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 19 Apr 2003 21:13:59
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  22:17:25  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he means that you don't need to have the feat to quickdraw this weapon
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  01:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the weapon. Just wait and maybe Sadon will comment. I bet she'll love it.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  03:39:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

zemd said -
quote:
I think he means that you don't need to have the feat to quickdraw this weapon
That's exactly what I meant by this.

Thanks for the good comments people, I've got more weapons coming so stay tuned.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  04:01:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

This next weapon was of a friends design.

It was carried by the main Drow Bladesinger antagonist for the campaign, and was considered lost at the end of the adventure.

Damage: 1d8+1 (adamantite) +3 enchanted
Weight: 4lbs
Special: Deals double damage against LG opponents.

There was no background to this blade, as it's creation was rushed to fit a deadline in the campaign, it was also not used very much either which was fortunate as the game later proved that this blade had problems.

Any suggestions on how I could fix it?. Please let me know.

Still more to come.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  05:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the problem with it? Am I just not seeing something?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  09:58:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
What's the problem with it? Am I just not seeing something?
Sorry Bookwyrm, I only just realised that I fixed the error with the stats before I posted.

Silly me. .

Be sure to stay tuned, there's more on the way.

Thanks all...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  14:23:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Now on to the next item - Ratha's Chainmail

This was designed by myself for usage in the campaign.

+5 AC

This armour was worn by the PC Ratha, a human fighter lvl 5. Ratha's armour is a dark shade of black. It has half sleeves to elbow length and fits to just below the knees.

The magical process which was used to create the mail (especially for Ratha) gives it a +1 bonus to all saves against non magical, non metal missiles.

Let me know what you think.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  23:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice armor! My new character for the D&D is a human Druid by the name of Ikianfera Meadowhill, so he couldn't use chainmail but I still love it.

Edited by - Targon Moonrise on 20 Apr 2003 23:51:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  07:05:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Targon Moonrise said -
quote:
My new character for the D&D is a human Druid by the name of Ikianfera Meadowhill, so he couldn't use chainmail but I still love it.
That's interesting. In the next few days, I will be posting some weapons that a human druid PC in my campaign was using so stay tuned.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  08:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's awesome! I'll make sure to keep myself glued to this scroll. And I wait to see the items.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  07:20:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Just some quick notes about the coming apdates -

- There are a few shortbows and longbows on the way, most were used by the drow warriors from the campaign.

- One minor artifact used by a drow House Necromancer which probably won't be of much use for most campaigns, but I'll post it anyway.

- Most of the PC's special weapons (all their other weapons were comprised solely of standard weapons and equipment).

- I think I even have some necromancer-type spells somewhere as well.

- And finally, some special weapons I converted from the Warhammer Fantasy Battle Game to d20 stats for my FR Underdark campaign.

All this information should be up within the next few days, as most of the notebooks and piles of paper are being shared between my friend and I.

We are trying to collect all the data together, refine it, add some post-campaign details and then release it (as a free pdf) later on this year, along with the Underdark adventure module we designed. The module itself is part of a series of elven adventures we are designing - the next adventure takes the PC's to Evermeet.

Well that's all for now, until next time...

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  00:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds awesome. Evermeet! That will be cool to hear about.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  01:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet, eh? <Tosses the Sage of Perth a Signet Ring> Give this to Queen Amlaruil, she will take care of you.

Now, in all seriousness, those are some cool items there Sage of Perth. Now, for the rest.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  09:41:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
Evermeet, eh? <Tosses the Sage of Perth a Signet Ring> Give this to Queen Amlaruil, she will take care of you.
The Sage smiles at Edain in return for his gift, and after rolling it around in his hand tosses it back to Edain.

"Thank you Edain for the gift...", says the Sage as he slowly lifts a shiny object from a deep pocket in his robe.

"But I already have one", concludes the Sage as he placed the Signet Ring on his middle left hand finger.

Targon Moonrise said -
quote:
That sounds awesome. Evermeet! That will be cool to hear about.
Yes it does, however the campaign has only just started, last Saturday night in fact, so a detailed report about the adventure will be a little while yet, however I'm thinking about releasing it along with the Underdark campaign as part of the free pdf I will create later this year. I'll see how the Evermeet campaigns goes time-wise. Anyway I'll let you know.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  09:47:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now onto some items -

The first was used by Shard Darkthorne, an female wood-elven rogue who later took a homebrew prestige class called Mistress of Daggers (don't worry there will be details for this prestige class posted here, when I get them from my friend who is reworking the class). A basic part of the prestige class was to become the absolute master of combat daggers, so here's the stats:

Wood Elf Fighting Knives
Damage: 1d4+1 (mithril) +1 enchanted
Weight: 1 lbs.
Special: The wielder receives a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls when the daggers are used as a pair and is trained in the unique elven twin dagger fighting style unique for this prestige class. The special abilities for the daggers work only for an offspring of the Darkthorne family.

These weapons were designed by a retired Wood-Elf ranger (NPC) who was killed early in the campaign. Shard inherited the daggers from the ranger (who was her grandfather). She was unaware of the daggers special abilities, until she was caught alone in battle against four goblins and without her trusted composite longbow +1 (coming later). It was then, in the heat of battle that the daggers' abilities were realised, and Shard decided to dedicate herself to the study of the unique twin dagger fighting style needed to further harness their special abilities.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  09:56:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next item was a special weapon taken by the PC's when they escaped the gladiatorial arena pits of Tarkoom located in the Underdark (all will be revealed when the adventure itself is posted).

Elven Shortsword
Damage: 1d6 +1
Weight: 1-1/2 lbs.
Type: Piercing
Special: There was nothing special about this blade, it was just found in a armory before the PC's escaped the pits. The blade was 25 inches in length and was both light and had a keen edge that never seemed to need sharpening.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  10:13:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This final item for today was used by the main Drow necromancer antagonist in the campaign.

Ver'ilith's Bone Wand
Ver'ilith's Bone Wand was shaped out of an ettins' arm bone and has a small ruby embedded at it's head. It will benefit any drow wizard of non-lawful alignment. The wand will allow the wizard to cast the following spells twice per day: Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Web and Darkness, 15' Radius. The wand will also cast the following spell once per day: Lightning Bolt.

Unfortunately, the wand was lost (it fell into a shallow pit but was never retrieved by the PC's) when Ver'ilith was killed by the Paladin of Tyr, Korloth Arandar.

That's all for now,

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Savarian
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  12:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Savarian's Homepage Send Savarian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

This final item for today was used by the main Drow necromancer antagonist in the campaign.

Ver'ilith's Bone Wand
Ver'ilith's Bone Wand was shaped out of an ettins' arm bone and has a small ruby embedded at it's head. It will benefit any drow wizard of non-lawful alignment. The wand will allow the wizard to cast the following spells twice per day: Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Web and Darkness, 15' Radius. The wand will also cast the following spell once per day: Lightning Bolt.

I hope this feedback is constructive and not taken as simply critical ...

What I would personally like to see is a like more detail that would enhance the playability of these items. For example, you detail the spell powers of the wand but don't give the caster level of the wand. So when someone uses the magic missile power how many magic missiles are there?

Also, wands have a single spell ability and 50 charges when created. That's part of the definition of what constitutes a wand. Multiple spell powers makes this item, by definition, a staff.

I would also like to see pricings for these items. Not because I am a math freak but because item pricing gives an indication of the power of the item and lets me know at a glance whether it fits neatly into whatever game I am running (or playing in). Also, if I am creating a character higher than 1st level I have a total wealth to spend as given in the DMG. How much of this wealth is this item going to consume and leave for me to spend on other items?

At the same time I like to see custom items that fit with published material. I notice that some of your weapons are mithril and therefore give a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon. I am not saying I don't like this idea but it runs directly counter to published material by Wizards that states that mithril makes an item lighter (half the weight of a normal item).

I find the material in Magic of Faerun very helpful in making custom items: such as the special metals, gems that enhance wands, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  18:23:05  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Savarian

Also, wands have a single spell ability and 50 charges when created. That's part of the definition of what constitutes a wand. Multiple spell powers makes this item, by definition, a staff.

I would also like to see pricings for these items. Not because I am a math freak but because item pricing gives an indication of the power of the item and lets me know at a glance whether it fits neatly into whatever game I am running (or playing in). Also, if I am creating a character higher than 1st level I have a total wealth to spend as given in the DMG. How much of this wealth is this item going to consume and leave for me to spend on other items?

At the same time I like to see custom items that fit with published material. I notice that some of your weapons are mithril and therefore give a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon. I am not saying I don't like this idea but it runs directly counter to published material by Wizards that states that mithril makes an item lighter (half the weight of a normal item).

I find the material in Magic of Faerun very helpful in making custom items: such as the special metals, gems that enhance wands, etc.

If the DM in question allows wands to contain more than one spell, there is really no problem with that. IF someone was converting their magic items from 1st edition, and had a wand of fire for instance, they would either have to rule you can store more than one spell in a wand, or that the wand then becomes a STAFF of FIRE.

I don't think the items Sage is placing here run COunter to any published material other than his wands often contain more than one spell. By making your magic items Mithril and giving it an enhancement bonus, you are not running counter to the publishing at all. In fact MOST magic weapons of +3 enhancement or more ARE made of Mithril. Due to Sages posting on the Adamantine thread he certainly understands the benefits of Mithril, as does anyone else who posted in that thread. I realy can't see how Sage's material is counter to anything published.

And one must remember, this is HIS campaign. IF HE wants to have wands with more than one spell ( I wouldn't I would make it a staff) than so be it. If all of his magic items are Mithril, than so be it. Either convert them to your own use, or don't use them.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  05:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the items, Sage.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:36:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Savarian said -
quote:
I hope this feedback is constructive and not taken as simply critical ...

What I would personally like to see is a like more detail that would enhance the playability of these items. For example, you detail the spell powers of the wand but don't give the caster level of the wand. So when someone uses the magic missile power how many magic missiles are there?

All criticism is greatly appreciate Savarian, whether constructive or critical, however I see several faults with your reasonings that you presented, and as mournblade94's last post says,
quote:
And one must remember, this is HIS campaign. IF HE wants to have wands with more than one spell ( I wouldn't I would make it a staff) than so be it. If all of his magic items are Mithril, than so be it. Either convert them to your own use, or don't use them.
The rest of your criticisms were covered by mournblade94 so I won't go into detail here.

Savarian, you are correct however that my descriptions lack several details. That, as I have said in previous posts is due to the availability of the information at the time of posting. A more detailed campaign will be released later this year, with ALL the details, the postings here are just to give others a taste of what the campaign setting will include.

Thanks for the comments though, in the end they all help.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:45:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add some comments in the previous post so here they are -

Targon Moonrise said -
quote:
I love the items, Sage.
Thanks Targon, more items are on the way along with the first part of the adventure (time permitting). Also, don't worry, those Druid weapons I mentioned are still on the list for posting, I just haven't got the relevant notebooks with me yet.

And finally, over the coming week I may be a little delayed in updates as I am also starting a 3e Planescape campaign adventure which will be taking up alot of my current free time as it requires some set up before I set the players to begin, so please be patient. The Forge is still running hot...

Thanks for the comments to, mournblade94, it's nice to know there are others in Candlekeep who read this post.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  23:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take your time Sage, I wouldn't want to rush genius.

<Edain turns to CJ>

"You are such an idiot."

<NOTE: No, I am not insane, I just like to talk to myself. It's perfectly normal.>

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000