Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New Classes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  07:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As far as I can tell, no one has posted this topic before, something I find surprising. I thought of this after my last thread, Paladins.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on new, unofficial character classes? Include things that others have done that you liked (or not), with specifics if you have any. I'll post one of my own if there's any positive response, after I finish it anyway . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  08:08:55  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only book i know that presented new classes was Mercenaries. But IMO, they were too powerful. I remember there was a new type of ranger who had not only his favorite ennemy but his favorite terrain as well!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  09:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That doesn't sound like a bad feature, though personally I'd give it to a different class. And probably it ought to be widened to "favored conditions" -- then you could have someone specializing in fighting under the cover of darkness, or in water. Maybe a specialization of "uneven terrain" meaning that the character would know how best to take advantage of outcropings and jagged rocks.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  09:07:58  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that's a good idea, but i'd have replaced the favorite ennemy by the favorite terrain, not added
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  09:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I did say that I would have given it to another class. Though I don't know what -- Fighters have a lot going for them already, and so do rogues. That leaves the paladin; but the paladin seems to me to be more of a stand-fast-against-the-assault sort of class. The ranger is probably the only standard class that fits. It's certainly Drizzt-style.

You know what, you're right, Zemd. Give it to the ranger in place of a favored enemy slot. After all, not every ranger is mad at one race in particular. And I don't believe Drizzt had a favored enemy. And besides, the ranger can get multiple favored enemies as (s)he advances in rank.

Unless of course someone's got a class that they'd think is better for this feat?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000