Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Other mechanics systems to run the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think I pretty much got the OK from Alaundo that this is not off-topic for Candlekeep. If I am mistaken, I will call everybody nasty names and quit the boards.

First, let me say that this is not an (A)D&D or D20 system bashing thread. I don't happen to perfer D20 mechanics, but that is my preference, not my religion.

I use the mechanics system from RuneQuest (similar to what Chaosium calls their Basic Roleplaying System). I'm curious if any other DMs use systems other than (A)D&D to run games in the Realms.

As an aside, what's kind of interesting about this is that Hasbro owns Avalon Hill, which means Hasbro not only owns D&D, they own RuneQuest, such as it is.

Edited in response to zemd:

The D100 system that Chaosium uses for Call of Cthulhu is what I use. There are slight differences between Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest, but they're pretty superficial. I do manage to use that system and still retain all the unique D&D-type stuff like turning undead, bard song, etc. I use D&D magic and D&D monsters. The heart of the game (the "software") is still D&D. The "hardware" is Basic Roleplaying. D&D 3e makes it even easier to convert monsters because they give all the stats for every monster now, not just hit dice, damage and intelligence value.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 08 Apr 2003 20:53:45

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  19:59:09  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think D20 system fits perfectly for D&D.
The other good system is D100 (CoC), but both wouldn't fit in each other universe IMO (i hope you get my meaning).
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  20:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Good topic Bran.
I use ICE's Rolemaster system in my campaign. It's based on D100 and percentile rolls for everything that's done in the game. I will admit that it's not completely RM, in that I use a few converted 2E rules ranging from initiative (RM version is too static for me) and psionics (in RM just it's just like magic, in D&D it's a completely unique power) to certain monsters and their abilities (RM doesn't have Beholder-kin for example). The system itself is pretty complicated, in that it has a table for just about everything (there's a to hit chart for every weapon used, for example) and there is a LOT of adding, subtracting and dividing when figuring out your combat abilities from round to round.
You're all probably saying "That's a lot of work to just play the game." Yes it is. But we love the realism the system gives the game. The crit charts are pretty graphic in their descriptions of what happens when you get hit with a sword, or get caught in a fireball, etc. We like that. It's what would probably really happen if you got hit with a sword, or got caught in a fireball. The type of damage you take will affect your ability to act as well, unlike D&D where if you get hit for 10 points of damage, that's it. If you get hit for ten points in RM, you're probably bleeding and/or stunned and/or at a minus to act, which makes for a more realistic portrayal of the combat.
I will say that there is a downside to using this system. Normally, combat takes about twice as long as in D&D, but to our group, it's a price worth paying.

zemd: I assume that CoC is Call of Cthulhu? Great game unto it self, but I agree that it wouldn't translate well to D&D, but then, I don't think it was intended to be played in a high fantasy type of game.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  21:08:10  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena:
quote:
Yeah! Good topic Bran.
I use ICE's Rolemaster system in my campaign. <snip>

I use ICE's Middle-Earth Roleplaying fumble tables, which, as I'm sre you know, are essentially simplified RoleMaster tables.

I know people who love RM for the same reasons you do.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  21:39:16  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Yasraena:
quote:
Yeah! Good topic Bran.
I use ICE's Rolemaster system in my campaign. <snip>

I use ICE's Middle-Earth Roleplaying fumble tables

Where could i find these?
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  21:49:41  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GURPS is king for character building freaks like me. There is very little limit to what you can do with GURPS.

I like the way they do magic too based on knowledge and intelligence.

It's a great system.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  22:03:29  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artalis:
quote:
GURPS is king for character building freaks like me. There is very little limit to what you can do with GURPS.
It's a great system.

Do you use GURPS to run FR games? One reason I use Chaosium's BRP instead of GURPS is because I find it easier to convert D&D 3e critters on the fly to D100 mechanics than to 3D6 mechanics.

Edited in response to zemd:

zemd:
quote:
Where could i find [Middle-Earth Roleplaying or RoleMaster}]?

You'd have to find a used copy of Middle-Earth Roleplaying or RoleMaster. I think ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises) is out of business.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 08 Apr 2003 23:19:18
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  23:09:38  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I.C.E has resurfaced. A group of ICE fans have bought the rights to all their old stuff including spacemaster. I have played ROLEMASTER, and MIDDLE EARTH. I found both very unwieldy. Since becoming a heavy weapons fighter in Society for Creative Anachronism, I have come to realise that ALL the combat systems are unrealistic so I just stick with D20, which is an improvement in realism over 2e. One of the BEST systems I have found for ease, and realism is the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

I like the runequest system. I used to play STORMBRINGER, the Elric game, which used the d100 skill based system of Runequest. Runequest is a GREAT SYSTEM. And it is from a bunch of old runequest gamers that the SCA sprouted.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  03:52:05  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Artalis:
quote:
It's a great system.

Do you use GURPS to run FR games? One reason I use Chaosium's BRP instead of GURPS is because I find it easier to convert D&D 3e critters on the fly to D100 mechanics than to 3D6 mechanics.

You are correct GURPS is tough on the old Monster Manual. It's a highly realistic system so it takes some real work to get the critters right. In answer to your question: No I haven't done it yet. I keep telling myself I will but I haven't yet. But I think it would be truly rewarding to due so.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000