Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Online campaigns
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  03:10:29  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Despite the saying, this may be a stupid question, but I can't stand having questions unanswered.

I am just beginning to look into the internet and how it works (there are many things I don't "get"), and I was wondering if it would be possible to run a FR campaign online. I don't mean PbeM. I mean to run it like this forum. Is it possible to use some kind of Whiteboard (our school district uses Angelfire) and have everyone online at the same time. I know we use it for live online discussions between schools, and there is a place for group announcements and sidebars. You can even upload files. Is there anyway something like that would work? If not, please explain the reasons.

I know several of you are computer programmers, and I'm sure some of the moderators would know.

*Remember, I'm a novice and I'm just here to learn. Please be nice as you dispel my ignorance* (Not that any of you have been unkind, quite the opposite.)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  03:33:57  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is doable but, due to the nature of the internet the people you may be talking to may be in VERY different timezones. I am in NY and my DM Mumadar is in Hungary that's 6 hours difference!

I get up at about noon for him and by the time I've had a chance to gather my wits and post some goodies he's ready to go home.

But, It is possible using Netmeeting or MSN Messenger especially, they have whiteboard functions and chatroom features. The thing is getting everybody online at the same time.

Just take a look at the "Active Users" link on the forum homepage people come and go all the time. Walking the dog, getting a drink, running to the video store etc. It's hard to get people to show up and stay there at the same time. But if you find a bunch of like-minded people have at it say I.

Unfortunately, I would not be one of those people. I have an impossible schedule and email/forum posts are the best I can manage.

Good luck

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree. Now, if everyone were on the same time, or aproximation thereof, then it would be simpler. However, that's all theoretical. I don't actually have any answers. ( I'm just able to fake being smart. )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:22:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir, I am a programmer, and as a programmer I must say that this is a very good idea. It is also, as Artalis says, 'very doable'. I like to tinker with ideas very much like this one, and as a matter of fact, I have a very similar system running here in Australia for exactly this purpose.

The reason the system works here, is because here in Australia, we are all in relatively similar time-zones with only three hours time difference separating the west and east coasts. So there is always a relative time when all the users will be online. Therefore a gaming campaign played on line is essentially very easy, barring all the technical and internet issues which have to be addressed first.

Time is the only real opponent that can effect a plan such as you are suggesting. Take for example, poeple here in Australia or in the USA. When we are going to bed at the end of the day, you are either still asleep, or just getting up for that same day, so it would be very hard to co-ordinate an effective strategy for the entire international community.

As a suggestion, perhaps you should concentrate within the limits of your home state, or country, like I did, it isn't as large as you wanted, but it is still very fun.

I hope that helps to answer your question Brynweir.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Hmmmm, the old "chatting" topic again eh?!
My fellow Head Scribes and I have looked into building a new addition to the library but alas are unable to find anything suitable. If anyone has any suggestions then we would be happy to hear from you.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  12:36:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about chatting off topic Alaundo, but I really hoped that what I had to say may have been of help to Brynweir.

Anyway as for the new addition you have been talking about, I am all for the idea. Also I have a few ideas, but I need some information about what type of problems you are having about finding anything suitable. If you don't mind in providing some information I can see whether my suggestions can be of any help for you.

Good learning...

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2003 12:37:47
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  13:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One possibility is to create "Adventuring Threads" that would be strictly devoted to gaming. This would eliminate the time zone issue but would slow playing down a lot. That way people like me (who have very limited play time) could still play some good 'ole D&D. The threads could be controlled by the host and players with a password.

Another option would be to have dedicated chat rooms available for gaming where the host could invite others to participate and an option for all others to have read-only access.

On both of these options, you could have icons of dice along the margins that, when clicked on would "roll" the dice for the DM. It could function on either the honor system for players' rolls or the DM could make all rolls. Characters could be saved on the website (to avoid cheating). I could go on and on but have to get to work..

I imagine this would cost some $$$. If so, I would be willing to pay some nominal membership fee to participate.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  17:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Sorry about chatting off topic Alaundo, but I really hoped that what I had to say may have been of help to Brynweir.

Ah, you misunderstand me, Sage. I was merely refering to the age old topic of having a room to....ahem...."chat" within Candlekeep.

::lowers voice::

Some of the scribes here have been whinging on and on at me to get something done about this for a long time. Shhhhhh

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:15:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that Alaundo. I understood what you meant, I guess I just expressed myself incorrectly. As for the off-topic chat room, I think it would be great .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  04:53:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for such quick and detailed responses. You have been very helpful.

Tombo, I really like your suggestion of "Adventuring threads" and I don't think it would be that slow, particularly if there were a stated "window" of time for posting. (People could always join as "extras" if they didn't have time for the full adventure)I think it would help to get other people interested if they could read the adventures in which others were participating. It would also be better for those of us who constantly have e-mail difficulties (even though our provider says they show nothing wrong).

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  06:29:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting Brynweir. I would definitely like to participate in these so-called 'Adventuring Threads', they sound as though they have a great deal of promise. The idea is also sound since the method of production is fairly straight-forward. If anyone is interested in taking this idea off the ground, I am willing to help you out in whatever capacity I can.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  00:09:32  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to be honest, I threw the idea out there hoping (if it were possible) that someone would want to "be in charge." I really don't have enough experience with either FR or the internet to take on the project myself. However, I too would be willing to help in whatever capacity I could, as well as to be a participant.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:09:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I have alot of projects going on at the moment, what with the Magic Shop, my Travelogue, and now the Epic FR Adventure, I would be willing to look into how these 'Adventuring Threads' may be able to work.

So, Brynweir allow me some time to tinker with the idea, and see what I can get done here, and I'll let you know where we can go with this idea from there. It may be just a simple matter of expanding on the current system I already have working, as I described above.

Anyway I'll see what I can do.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  02:51:43  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about taking the Epic FR and running it as a thread? Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Here's a new quote I think you'll like, Sage of Perth. It is from M:TG, Barrin the Master Wizard.
"Knowledge is no more expensive than ignorance, and at least as satisfying."

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  03:32:08  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we should have the epic adventure of Candlekeep, something that can be played on table top. Jsut my opinion, I would rather the epic be something that ANY realms fan can use whether or not they are a member of the forum.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

. . . the epic adventure of Candlekeep . . .

Yes! Have Candlekeep in it! And maybe quite a few of the scribes? Including a handsome, debonair, shapechanged dragon?

::chirp-chirp::

Okay, maybe not . . . .

Seriously, it would be a good idea, right? And perhaps we'd be able to stick my Tome of Candlekeep into it. I'm interested to see how that actually works in game-play.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  09:54:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookwyrm, your 'Tome of Candlekeep' works great in game play. When you first emailed it to me, I had told you that I intended to run it through my gaming session that night. It worked well, and proved to be a great incentive for the PC's to attempt to retrieve the book.

Anyway on to business. Brynweir, I like the idea of having the Epic Adventure running as the 'Adventure Thread' on Candlekeep, but I also agree with Mournblade, in that it should be something everybody can use regardless of whether they are members of the forum or not. Maybe I will put this option to a vote in the actual Epic Adventure scroll.

Oh, and thanks for the quote, I like it, plus Barrin the Master Wizard is one of my favorite MTG cards. But I have always preferred Volrath quotes, like this one "How fascinating it is to watch the machinations of one's own mind play themselves out" from the card 'Contemplation'.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Actually Bookwyrm, your 'Tome of Candlekeep' works great in game play. When you first emailed it to me, I had told you that I intended to run it through my gaming session that night. It worked well, and proved to be a great incentive for the PC's to attempt to retrieve the book.

Anything that you can email to me? If I can't get royalties, at least I can read about their use. Pweez?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:15:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend has the notebooks we used for the adventure, and all the data we collected. I'm seeing him tonight, so I'll ask him to bring it along, and then I'll email it to you.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:05:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. My friend just rang, he should be here in a few hours.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000