Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Jack Archer of Earth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  19:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good work Bookwyrm am liking it v much so far - I particularly like the way that coming from an established Earth faith he will have some serious questions regarding the FR Gods...and that being a man of science the magic issue will be an interesting one.

All in all can't wait for the 2nd part!

P.S. Once I get some time (hopefully later this week) I will mail you back about the "Future of Humanity" essay you sent me...and I also recall in another post you mentioned something about doing an FR system with the Gods as different Saints or something?? If you've done anymore work on this I'd love to see it being a Christian myself (mail it 2 my MSN account or something). Thanks in advance!!

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  22:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I was talking about was assigning domains to different saints -- such as War and Protection for St. Michael, Family for St. Mother Seton, Animal for St. Francis. Things like that. It doesn't really work, of course, but it was fun to see which ones would fit where.

And it would really be something that would be "recomended" more than anything else. Such as "If your patron saint is So-and-So, then suitable domains would be: . . . ." Or vice versa: "If you would like your character to have access to this domain, suggested patrons would be: . . . . ."

The "evil" domains were a lot harder, but if I ever do put that together, I was thinking of evil being more nebulous. Though Bezulbub (if that's the one I'm thinking of) would be sure to have Pestilence.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  08:22:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, were you thinking 'Baalzebul' perhaps?.

Alexis, there is currently a tome available from Malhavoc Press for their Swords & Sorcery line that deals with many of the topics you asking the Bookwyrm about. It's called 'Anger of Angels' by Sean K. Reynolds. All I will say about it (other than it being a great resource for PS fans), is that it is basically a treatment of the Judeo-Christian Heaven and Angels, but "D&Dified."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  15:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that looks like a great book! I think I might have to buy that if I ever see it in a store!

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  08:09:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got it on order. I'll let you know what it is like when I get it.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  12:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how's it coming, Bookwyrm? *is very anxious*

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  09:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry -- I didn't mean to keep y'all in suspense. I've just been rather busy these last few days . . . weeks . . . months . . . .

Also, I keep holding out the hope that I can think of a better transition in the next section. It feels very contrived to me. And I need to take a closer look to make sure I don't embarrass myself, edit some things if necessary, and figure out where a good break-off point is in the narrative.

Tell you what -- If I can't get that done this week, I give you leave to severely admonish me. How's that?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  23:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just then, Jack heard the sound of someone moving through the underbrush. He turned and saw a figure heading his direction.

"Hello there!" he called out. The figure paused for a moment, then started moving again, slightly faster this time.

Jack waved as he walked over to the edge of the clearing to meet the other person. "Hi," he said. "Um, I seem to be a bit lost. Could you point me in the direction of the fairegrounds?"

The other man blinked at him, then came out into the clearing. He was obviously an SCA member, though probably someone new to the area. He wore a robe and cloak as well, but the former was of shades of green, while the cloak was more brown. He carried a staff in one hand, quite a bit straighter than current SCA fashion, which tended to run towards a twist in the middle that tapered as it got lower. This staff was straight, made of naturally white wood, and had an elegantly shaped tip in the shape of a gently twisted diamond. In the other hand, he carried a knapsack that looked like it was made of leather. Jack also noticed a strangely-shaped leather bag hanging from the other man's belt.

The stranger spoke, his tone sounding guarded, clearly asking a question. Unfortunately, what the question was Jack didn't know.

"I'm sorry -- could you say that in English?" Jack asked, frowning. That was a strange-sounding language, but anything other than standard American sounded strange to him. Jack wasn't known for his linguistic skills.

"Who are you?" the young man asked -- demanded, really. He looked younger than Jack had thought initially, probably only five years older than Jack himself. He had curly brown hair and a small goatee, and his dark eyes were looking at Jack with more than a trace of suspicion.

"I'm Jack Archer," Jack told him. "I was over at the fairegrounds when that storm came up, and then --"

"Where is my master?" the other man interrupted rudely.

"Your . . . master?"

"Yes, Jasin the Conjurer. Where is he?"

"Um, I haven't met anyone with that stage name," Jack told him, one eyebrow raised. "How about his real name?"

"That is his real name."

"No, his real one -- the one he was born with?" Jack shook his head. Sometimes fairegoers would go too far with the characters they'd assume. This sounded more fantasy than period. Jack wasn't a period Nazi, of course; he didn't care about little anachronisms. The point to the whole thing was to have fun, not be exact in every detail. But this sort of thing was just plain annoying.

"Look, you can drop the character," Jack went on, a trifle exasperated. "I've got a headache, and I don't want to play guessing games."

The other's eyes narrowed, and he gave Jack a searching glance up and down -- and started. When his eyes came back to Jack's, they were filled with anger.

"Those are my master's boots!" he said accusingly. "What have you done with him?"

"Hey, I haven't done anything to anybody!" Jack protested, raising his arms in a calming motion. "I just found these over by that rock, along with --"

"You lie!" the man snarled. "You have obviously killed him! He would not leave his boots lying about so carelessly!" He tossed his bag to the side and shifted his staff to his left hand. "I will avenge his murder. Prepare to die!"

Even as he protested his innocence, Jack's well-trained reflexes took control of his body, and he reached for his rapier. His feet shifted effortlessly into a standard defensive stance as he drew it, weight evenly balanced, ready to move in any direction in response to this madman's attack.

Yet even as he drew the rapier, he thought this guy's actions were strange. To be sure, this guy had to be crazy, since he immediately thought of murder and then of killing Jack himself; probably this "master" was his keeper. Even with that, what he was doing was far from expected. Jack had immediately assumed he'd attack with that staff, and moved accordingly; but instead, the crazy guy was making a strange fluttering motion with one hand, mumbling some weird words under his breath.

Something about the pattern he was making registered in Jack's mind, at the same sort of unconscious level he recognized fencing moves. He reacted without thinking, ducking as if to dodge a bullet --

-- Just as three balls of what looked like pure flame shot over his head.

Jack gaped, his eyes wide. "How did you do that?" he demanded incredulously. He'd seen devices which could produce flame in a similar way, but this guy hadn't actually thrown anything, and how would he hide something large enough to do make three of those, even in those robes?

The crazy guy snarled in rage and started another pattern. Again, Jack had a flash of that deja vu feeling, and this time the flash carried a picture: a line of white arcing through the air, and a sensation of cold. He began to duck again, but it was an automatic feint; he’d already seen how his opponent was aiming -- well, pointing -- at a spot around Jack's knees. Instead, Jack smoothly switched to a jump to his right.

He flailed in the air for a moment; where was the ground? Then he landed, rather less gracefully than he usually did. He managed to tuck and roll, though it was a bit awkward with his rapier still in hand.

Jack looked up and blinked. He was over ten feet from where he'd started out! It was impossible. He hadn't jumped that hard.

But then, it was even more impossible that the ground he'd been standing on was suddenly covered in frost.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  00:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There. Ya happy now, punk?

Seriously, it's rather hard to narrate a D&D battle scene. I wanted it faster-paced, but it just didn't lend itself to that sort of thing.

Plus, as I'd said yesterday, I'd wanted a better transition into the battle. Sure, this other wizard isn't supposed to be much of a logical thinker, but it sounds so contrived to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, the wizard's name is Ashimar Len, a human wizard level-6. He was the apprentice of Jasin, the guy who got vaporized; while he's no longer Jasin's apprentice, and hasn't been since level 4, he still drops by every so often. Today, Jasin had invited him to this out-of-the-way spot to demonstrate the result of some research.

Ashimar is a selfish, egotistical wizard who looks at magic as pure power. Jasin only cared for knowledge and magic for its own sake. They aren't very much alike, but somehow they'd formed a bond. Just remember Ashimar isn't evil. He's just . . . slightly unbalanced.

Oh, and one last thing. In my brainstorming to figure out ways to describe magic in-character, I thought of a way to explain relative power. In essence, Ashimar is a "wizard of the third magnitude." This means, of course, that he can cast third-level spells.

Spell level is something that is obvious to a spellcaster: every spell (save for epic spells, but they're different) is obvious in how much power it takes. I think of it like "energy states" in physics -- which fits, really. I've been treating magic like quantum physics in my stories for years.

So anyway, I'm going to be describing spells and spellcasters by their "magnitude." Ashimar refers to his own magnitude in the next part, not knowing that Jack is also a third-magnitude caster. Which is okay, really. Jack doesn't know it yet either.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  00:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well written so far, Sir Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  01:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good job, Bookwyrm.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  07:43:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
great stuff man. I dig it!

Almost inspires me to post my own stuff, btu the spotlight is all yours! Keep it coming!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  15:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plenty of room for your own stuff, MuadDib. Go ahead and post.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  20:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about posting the beginning of my story (which is all that I have so far, even though I have in mind several things that are going to happen already), but I'm afraid it may not be good, though I've gotten good reviews on it from my friends. I figure they are biased, so I'm still in the gray area on posting it.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  21:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send it to me, if you'd like. I'll give you an honest (perhaps brutally honest) review, and if I have the time, I'll add in some editing suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  01:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Send it to me, if you'd like. I'll give you an honest (perhaps brutally honest) review, and if I have the time, I'll add in some editing suggestions.

It's sent, and thank you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  12:41:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I haven't had time to access my Hotmail account and I know I promised some notes on your character, but I've had some problems with some of my print-out copies of your PC. Can you please send to me again, Archer's stats?.

Thanks...and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  20:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Bookwyrm looks up, startled, at the sound of Sage's voice. He quickly stuffs the pocket watch he had been studying impatiently back into a pocket.::

That's okay, Sage, it's not like I was clock-watching or anything . . . . I'll send you off a new copy. Just try not to spill coffee on it this time.

By the way, while I'm waiting for Sage to do that, anyone have any ideas on what Jack Archer should be like? Feats, skills, things he should do, that sort of thing. Not saying I'll take it, but I'm interested in what you all think.

Oh, and if Cyric says anything about what Jack should do with his namesake, I've got a new spell to try on him. I call it Yosemite Sam's burning biscuits.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  20:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm did you look over the story i sent you?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  21:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did. I'll need more time to give you a proper review, though. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  22:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, Hotmail says you're over your storage limit. (I hate it when that happens to me!) Do you have another address for me to send it to?The entire profile is 1.4MB, what with the Word charts, but I can split it into two or more if you'd prefer.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  13:06:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me see what I can do...I'm snowed under with study at the moment, and don't have the time...

It's times like this, that I still wish I had my planewalker.com email account...that had plenty of storage space...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  13:26:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookwyrm, since the file is only 1.4MB, just send it to my Dragonlance.com email account, there should be enough room in that one.

The address is: sageofperth@dragonlance.zzn.com

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  15:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carefull! Don't let Alaundo hear you say the "D"-name.

I'll send it when I get home. (I'm on campus right now.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  12:50:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be sending you my comments on Friday Bookwyrm.

I did intend to send them tomorrow, however I have been called over to Sydney, and I am leaving in 2 hours. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go over the stats right now, so I'll talk to you again on Friday.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  21:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be waiting.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  14:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am just saying he be so mouch happy with being a priest of Cyric
runing like the armys of the abyss is after me

Edited by - Cyric on 05 Dec 2003 14:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2003 :  20:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No he wouldn't.

::pulls out a Nerf sword and tries to chop Cyric's head off::

Hey, stay still!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  02:15:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't got to it yet Bookwyrm...I was a little late coming back to Perth. I ask for you to once again be patient, as it will take me a few days to catch up on everything at home first. In fact I intend to look over the stats as soon as I finished here.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  22:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Bookwyrm, how's my story coming along?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000