Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Jack Archer of Earth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  03:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, I spent a bit of time thinking over the idea of how Earth's magic is so much harder to use, and how that would fit into D&D stats. What do you think of all aspects of caster level (save for spells per day) being reduced by half, rounded down, and all spells taking up twice as many spell levels?

That is, if Jack were to return to Earth with that spellbook he's about to pull out of Len's bag, he could still memorize fireball, but not only would it be treated as two third-level spells, it would be cast as if by a second-level wizard (2d6 damage, 480 range).

It's hardly something important, but since it was on my mind, I figured I'd post it here. I'm thinking it might not be limited enough, but it's a thought.

By the way, clerics, psionics, and any other "spellcaster" type would face the same sort of restriction.

It's too bad Mournblade isn't around. I'd be interested in what he thought of that.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Pendangorth
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  14:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Pendangorth's Homepage Send Pendangorth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm my friend! It is a long time since I set eyes on your sour and sinister face.

After remanifesting myself, I seemed to have gained a different personality.

I will tell of my adventures shortly.

I play a vintage Wheatstone English Treble Concertina with pride and prowess.
Go to Top of Page

aneama
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  14:50:28  Show Profile  Visit aneama's Homepage Send aneama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you appear to be the doctor who of candlekeep, "remanifesting" surely you are a doctor who fan.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  16:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sour and sinister, eh? Well, you're still not exactly striving to endear yourself to me . . . .

And for a Time Lord, that would be regeneration, not remanifestation.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  05:01:45  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have said this before, but I say it again:

Realy good work bookwyrm!!

I realy enjoy youre story and love the way you describe Jacks view of Fearun.

I have one question though: have you decided where in FR this story takes place?

I can`t wait for the follow up

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  16:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a PbeM, so I couldn't choose; it's Sage's game, not mine. Other than that, yes, I know where it takes place.

However, I do wonder if I should keep you all in suspense for a while.

Go to Top of Page

Pendangorth
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  18:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Pendangorth's Homepage Send Pendangorth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Sour and sinister, eh? Well, you're still not exactly striving to endear yourself to me . . . .

And for a Time Lord, that would be regeneration, not remanifestation.

You use beautiful sentence structure Bookwyrm. Very flowing and concise.

And if you want to see why I have remanifested myself as opposed to regenerated, you can read my profile.

It looks like you are enjoying well deserved praise for your efforts, Bookwyrm. You seem to me to be a valued member of Candlekeep.

I play a vintage Wheatstone English Treble Concertina with pride and prowess.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice job Bookwyrm. Keep it up.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly will, now that I've been endorsed beyond my wildest dreams. ( ::still in shock:: )

Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:54:52  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!! Bookwyrm!!

congratulate!

It`s not every day you get a message like that from Mr Greenwood, keep it up Bookwyrm

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  12:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I certainly will, now that I've been endorsed beyond my wildest dreams. ( ::still in shock:: )

Well met

Aye, 'tis a proud moment for thee, Bookwyrm..... alas, your work is ne'er done

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  15:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Bookwyrm's story was liked by Ed Greenwood? Congratulations!

(And keep up the good work, I am diligently awaiting the next part in the story.)

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  05:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Aye, 'tis a proud moment for thee, Bookwyrm..... alas, your work is ne'er done

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Even in my moment of glee, Alaundo can't resist proding for more work.

Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  16:20:11  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met...

I just have to toss my plea in here for more as well. Congrats on the Nod from Mr. Greenwood. What a wonderful experience. (She says enviously.)

-Fireheart (who lurks quietly)

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  19:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, and I'll certainly try to hurry it up. I've a lot on my plate, and I'm finding it hard to take time to just sit and write.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  13:52:24  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the positive feedback by Ed. Don't rush it for oursakes, take your time but don't keep us waiting too long, especially the impatient ones.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  16:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good, because the next part's taking a lot longer than I'd hoped . . . .

(Blasted Real Life.)

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  01:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's good, because the next part's taking a lot longer than I'd hoped . . . .

(Blasted Real Life.)

LOL.
Sometimes life can be a pain. I'm looking forward to death. Eternal bliss, nice and quiet, no people bugging me, no bills to pay, no work and all play.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  07:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's assuming you're getting rewarded, Lina. Careful, or God might ground you.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  09:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's assuming you're getting rewarded, Lina. Careful, or God might ground you.

Well, if your Christian their belief is that everyone goes to heaven, whether you have been good or bad in life as long as you repent your sins or is that Catholic? Not that I'm either. Anyways if I don't quiet make it, I'm sure I can find a nice warm hot spring to soak in and let all my worries drain away.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  12:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. When I saw that you had posted, I clicked on it thinking I'd find you complaining that I was taking too long on section five.

Actually, the part I was referring to was presuming on God's mercy. It's like thinking "Oh, God loves me, so He'll forgive anything I do."

This part isn't a "Catholic thing." You're a bit closer on the repent bit, of course. And really, there's not much difference between this aspect of Catholicism and the rest of Christianity, whatever Chick wants you to believe.

What Chick believes is that as long as he says "Jesus is the Savior," he gets to Heaven. In effect, he seems to think that he can do whatever he wants, act how he wants, and treat others how he wants, all in the name of God. Gee -- that sounds familiar.

What Catholics (and Anglicans, Presbyterians, Orthodox Christians, etc -- not just Catholics, Mr. Chick! ) believe is "Jesus is the Savior, but He helps those who don't expect Him to do all the work." What that means is simply saying something doesn't get you into Heaven. Heck, every soul in Hell, all the way up (down? ) to Satan believes that, and look where they are!

I keep wanting to email Chick, especially when while reading the Bible I come across lines like "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "You shall know them by their fruit," but the problem is that when you're dealing with closed minds, it's really hard to find a crack to speak through.

Just remember my old signature: "A closed mind is like a closed book -- just a block of wood."

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  14:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have returned from my long slumber, and am eagerly awaiting the continuation of The Jack Archer story.

Btw, Good job so far.

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  07:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bayne. I'll try to get it out as soon as I can.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  04:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As is obvious to anyone looking at this, I haven't exactly lived up to my above promise. I won't bother with the excuses, them being long and sinister in nature, and besides, it probably would sound like dogs eating my homework.

I have a few updates, though. First, I made myself a "region" for Jack. Even though I can make my character up to speed with the others in the campaign -- who are, after all, using regions -- by "adding" some things, I thought I'd make one anyway.

Region: Human (United States)

Automatic Languages: American English

Bonus Languages: American Sign Language, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish

Favored Religion: Christianity (any denomination)

Regional Feats: Artist, Bullheaded, Cosmopolitan, Discipline, Education, Scholarly, Silver Palm, Smooth Talk, Thug

Bonus Equipment: (A) Masterwork rapier or masterwork composite longbow, or (B) 300 gp.

First, I know that that's a long feat list, but the United States is a pretty big, very diverse place.

Second, the two weapons are the only two I can think of that might be "common" in today's US; likely the second more than the first, really. My brother's a very good marksman with pistol or bow, actually. (Though his bow is actually a compound, not a composite. But there aren't stats for that, it being a more modern weapon.)

It's not a very useful region, really. After all, how many more people are going to be pulled in from Earth?

The other thing I wanted to say is in regard to languages. Those of you who've been paying attention to the discussion as well as the story will remember Winterfox's complaints about my equating Common with English. Well, she's right. And as I said, I knew she was. I just didn't know of a way around it without slowing everything down too far to have fun.

Well, you'll notice that there's a new item in the Shop now. Ashimar was wearing a ring of the foreigner when he started talking. I believe the term for this is a retcon, but hopefully it won't have the same negative shade to it as when people use it in regards to WotC's work in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  17:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Bookwyrm, don't neglect your duties, else some scribes may be tempted to use that spell you recently devised...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, come now, surely Alaundo knows that . . . um. Alaundo, hi . . . oh, yes, it's a very nice staff . . .

Go to Top of Page

zhentar reborn
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  10:17:31  Show Profile  Visit zhentar reborn's Homepage Send zhentar reborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it was intentional but your character's beginning reminds me of Tarl Cabot in the Gor series by John Norman.

Think what you've always thought, and you'll be what you've always been.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  22:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly it wasn't intentional, since I've never heard of those books, much less read them.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  04:15:52  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

quote:

Well, if your Christian their belief is that everyone goes to heaven, whether you have been good or bad in life as long as you repent your sins or is that Catholic? Not that I'm either. Anyways if I don't quiet make it, I'm sure I can find a nice warm hot spring to soak in and let all my worries drain away.

Matthew, Chapter 12:
"30
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
"Either declare the tree good and its fruit is good, or declare the tree rotten and its fruit is rotten, for a tree is known by its fruit.
You brood of vipers, how can you say good things when you are evil? For from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.
A good person brings forth good out of a store of goodness, but an evil person brings forth evil out of a store of evil.
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak.
By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."
-------------------------

Edit: removed my interpretation of the above, for it was just that... an interpretation... hence imperfect. I'll leave the quote up there for educative purposes (for those who want to know the real 'chant', like Lina). I'll let people draw their own conclusion as to the meaning.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 09 May 2004 07:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Xullrae Zauviir
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  04:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Xullrae Zauviir's Homepage Send Xullrae Zauviir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In respect for Bookwyrm and his works, including anyone's right to religious freedom, lets not make this a debate. It was obvious Bookwyrm was teasing Lina.

Forgive my intrusion, but I've seen too many discussions on other boards stray off the fantasy top to real world debate and that usually gets ugly. While I believe it will not come to that, due to the ever watchful eye of Alaundo, consider my polite interruption an icebreaker. It is not my intention to correct anyone or ruffle feathers, however real life religion is always a sensative subject. Everyone has their own views, but it always curteous to be respectful, even if you disagree with something.

Even if your reply had good intentions, it could stem off hot replies. Forgive my rant, everyone seems nice here but is this the place for such a discussion?

Lets stay focused on the true topic, shall we?

Bookwyrm, are there any plans for more works on Jack?

You are truly talented! I'm highly impressed and want to read more.

Live spelled backwards is evil. Doesn't that mean that there is a measure of evil in everyone? Perhaps it was the god's hidden joke, but why are you scoffing that I admit I'm evil? At least I'm not slaughtering innocents and saying it's good and right. No matter how you look at it, it's still murder and therefore evil. Deep down, you are no better than I am. The only difference is that I may lie to others, but not to myself! ~Xull'rae Zauviir
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000