Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 abb.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  08:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm kind of a newby in D&D-land. One of the things I can do in order to learn is to read the messages up here. So thank you all for that.

But in reading these posts I'm meting loads of abbreviations and I must say I don't know 'em all.
Is there a (growing) list of these shortenings, as they're used up here? if not ... please let's start one over here.

D&D-jargon:
DM = Dungeon master, kindof games master
D&D = Dungeons and Dragons
FR = Forgotten Realms
FRCS = Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings (3E rule-book)
DMG = Dungeon Master Guide (rule-book)
PHB = Players HandBook (rule-book)
MG = Monster Guide (rule-book)
WotC = Wizzards of the Coast (publisher of D&D)
2E / 3E = 2nd edition / 3rd edition

out of a different set:
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
abb. = abbreviation
IMO = (not everyone is humble all the time)

And this one I met in a post recently. I couldn't change it in something usefull:
MoF = ....

And perhaps others have found unknown abbreviations as well, so ...

This may grow into a large FAQ-like list what should end up on a different part of the site, I suppose.

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  08:55:12  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frey

This may grow into a large FAQ-like list what should end up on a different part of the site, I suppose.

There is a FAQ on the Candlekeep website and a FAQ for the forum (top left corner). IIRC the one on the website contains most of the commonly used abbreviations.
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  10:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MoF = Magic of Faerūn

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  13:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both.

Isn't it amazing how people all over the world, people you possibly never met and perhaps never will, and even others, co-operate together to broaden knowlegde, answer my questions and all!

Well, I've found both FAQ's and found them to be interesting and all. Didn't find the list of abbv.s yet. Will look further.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  13:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Frey, the list of abbreviations can be found on the Official FAQ at the following item: http://www.candlekeep.com/fr_faq.htm#_Toc16090626

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  13:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goo'day, Alaundo,
And thanks, yes, that is what I was looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  06:04:26  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In honor of my absent friend I had to include this one:

YAAR You Are A Riot

It just seemed appropriate.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  06:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad Frey. I'm with you 100%. I too, am a newbie. Not to D&D, but to chatspeak and forums in general. I must admit though, that if you come here often and regularly enough, the abbreviations do start to make sense eventually. And if not, there are plenty of scribes to set us straight! (thanks guys!)

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  07:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! Someone's using my term! "Chatspeak" -- no rights reserved.

Having the abbriviations commonly used on this forum included in the forum FAQ list sounds like a good idea. After all, if someone on here is looking for something said on here, they might not think to look at the main website's FAQs. I know I didn't, when I was trying to figure this stuff out.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  08:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yay! Someone's using my term! "Chatspeak" -- no rights reserved.

Having the abbriviations commonly used on this forum included in the forum FAQ list sounds like a good idea. After all, if someone on here is looking for something said on here, they might not think to look at the main website's FAQs. I know I didn't, when I was trying to figure this stuff out.

Indeed a good point, Bookwyrm (im sure youre trying to give me more and more tasks to keep my busy and away from here! )

I will compile a list of "chatspeak" and D&D\FR abbreviations and have it up here as a permanent tome....in due course

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  12:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just remembered that there was also another thread that mentioned this. You aren't the first to have trouble!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000