Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adding Avatars into a Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  01:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My DM was thinking of including an actual avatar of Vhaeraun in our campaign, but myself and the other players didn't think it to be probable. True, Vhaeraun frequently dispatches his Avatar to answer a summoning ritual performed by his clergy, but we are only around levels 12-14, and though this could be considered somewhat high, I don't believe that we should be graced by the presence of a deity.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 19 Feb 2004 15:27:32

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  09:56:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These aren't his 'official' avatar stats are they Shadowlord, because I don't think it's really appropriate for you to be posting them here with the author's consent.

If they are, I would suggest you contact Alaundo for confirmation on what I just said...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, many apologies....... The stats have been taken out. Only the question remains.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  17:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't like the idea of any party coming to a deity's notice, unless that group has seriously irritated or pleased him/her. I especially don't like the idea of a campaign that requires stats for a god's avatar. The gods play into the Realms too much as it is, I think.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  18:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bookwyrm, but we already agreed not to feature him. Alaundo, this topic is free for deletion.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  05:26:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bookwyrm has a point. Unless your party is heavily involved in planar travel (where they may come to the notice of deities, to be used as pawns for their games of celestial chess), I don't think deities should have much more impact upon the general Realms than they do now...and even that is a little too much sometimes.

There may be times when deity exposure is necessary, and their stats, or those of their avatars need to be included, but if the adventure doesn't leave the Material Plane at least once, then it's probably not a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  05:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I, as a shade, have repeatedly visited the Plane of Shadow.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  06:52:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well then, that presents an alternate case, and one that you could build upon to bring any 'Shadow'-type deities into your campaign. Although, the Shades have never had much need for deities outside of the regular and necessary worship of arcane magic deities...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  21:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Ahem* Correction: A DROW Shade, who worships Vhaeraun.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000