Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dawn of Night (Spoilers for Erevis Cale Trilogy)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  02:41:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

I just finished Dawn of Night and it was an excellent read. At first, I didn't think I would like them walking around the Plane of Shadows,but I was glad I was wrong.

I was the same way as I've never been interested in the Plane of Shadow or Shadowmagic. But, this novel made both very interesting and I enjoyed reading about these aspects.

quote:

I also enjoyed the description of Skullport and how terrifying it can be.

A wonderfully wicked place.

quote:

Also, does anyone else think that the woman named Varra that Cale had met in Skullport will play any important part in the 3rd novel. I am most curious to learn what she said to Cale in their last conversation.

Anyone have any theories on what language she used? I mean it was something the very mulilingual Cale did not recognize. I love that he gave her his true name. I think she's definitely going to play some role in the 3rd novel.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  02:43:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Sirius it's definitely an intriguing thought.I highly doubt it,but you never know.It's something that I wouldn't mind seeing.I also agree that there should be some kind of timeline,or date when events take place.The day and month would suffice.

No. There is definitely no way the two series would/should be connected.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  04:45:57  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After thinking about it.I agree that the series should be seperate.Does anyone think that Kesson Rel is the Sojourner????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  05:17:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

After thinking about it.I agree that the series should be seperate.Does anyone think that Kesson Rel is the Sojourner????

I hadn't even considered that.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  06:20:17  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be, he's old enough to be. He didn't strike me as very religious for a chosen of Mask, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  16:30:26  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing Sarta about his age.Plus if he is powerful enough to pull a town into The Plane of Shadow.Paul is making it seem like The Sojourner has that power.I don't know it's something to think about,and anxiously await until next November.Does it really have to be that far off?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  17:22:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
it's something to think about,and anxiously await until next November.Does it really have to be that far off?

I don't think we would have to wait as long, but he's concluding WOTSQ now and already has a full time job, thus....
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  17:41:10  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I simply adored the first book in this series and almost hurt myself running to pick the second one up. I loved it, but it had a lot of the trademarks of the second of any series. It was a bit slower and had a very different feel to it.

All second-acts do this, but it seemed to be the tiniest bit too much in this particular book. Certainly not enough to merit anything other than a "this could be slightly faster" as one continues to turn the pages, but a little something.

*Spoilers*

As per the Riven discussion. I think Riven is still working toward the ultimate goal of destroying the Sojourner. He didn't betray Erevis to gain power from being allied with the Sojourner, but it's unclear otherwise. Given one part where Erevis is still airwalking, tells Riven to meet him in the cuppola, etc....I'm forced to wonder if Erevis didn't plan this. He knew he needed to get to the Sojourner ultimately, and that killing the slaadi would prevent him from ever finding the Sojourner. I wonder if Riven and Erevis didn't have a plan going on the side. Obviously Riven wanted Cale left alive, but was Cale in on it? I am forced to wonder.

I'm anxiously awaiting the third one. In the meantime, Annihilation will be out soon. That will have to sate me for a while.

Also, as a writer myself, I have to say that Kemp's prose is very tight. He's the kind of writer that makes new writer's like myself wonder if we'll ever get that good. The guy is great at ambient descriptions that fit nicely into the flow of the story. He doesn't set descriptions aside on their own too much. He works them in. He's got a nice vocabulary but doesn't over-use it as many authors are prone to do these days. He's one of the masters of knowing exactly where to stop to leave you satisfied enough but still dying for more information. Very glad he's working with FR. I look forward to reading more and more of his stuff over the years.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  22:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, another fine book by Kemp!

Love the descriptions of the Plane of Shadow and Skullport. The detail and atmosphere, left me wanting to campaign in the land of shadows immediately!

Like some others I to felt that Riven's actions were, designed to get at the Sojouner, that leaving Cale alive was out of character, especially since he was aware of Cale's ability to regenerate.

quote:
Also, as a writer myself, I have to say that Kemp's prose is very tight. He's the kind of writer that makes new writer's like myself wonder if we'll ever get that good. The guy is great at ambient descriptions that fit nicely into the flow of the story. He doesn't set descriptions aside on their own too much. He works them in. He's got a nice vocabulary but doesn't over-use it as many authors are prone to do these days. He's one of the masters of knowing exactly where to stop to leave you satisfied enough but still dying for more information. Very glad he's working with FR. I look forward to reading more and more of his stuff over the years.

I whole heartedly agree.

Also Magadon's Character, any one else love the direction and growth of him? Son of Mephistopheles! Alright! Where is this heading??

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' -Socrates
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  23:28:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon28
Also Magadon's Character, any one else love the direction and growth of him? Son of Mephistopheles! Alright! Where is this heading??

I was really surprised to see another concrete character join the group. Given his background, he fits in with the previous book's trio.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  06:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To begin, "Dawn of Night" was an exceptionally entertaining read. Like any great second volume it left me with many more questions than answers---
Did Riven really betray Cale(already discussed within)? I also do not believe that Riven has trully turned against Cale, otherwise(as noted previously) he would have killed him (stating that if he drew steel the opposing individual(s) would be dead in the dirt)?

Where did Cale teleport the characters to and if it is on the surface will the wounds he recieved at Riven's hands be present(similar to the way his hand reacts toward sunlight)?

Who is the Sojourner(also previosly discussed)?--I do not think it is Kesson Rel: Kemp does explain "what" the Sojourner is during his WotC interview on the official site and that makes it seem highly unlikely.

Who are the Third the Fourth and The Fifth of Mask---Does anyone think the women Cale met in Skullport(he escourted her home and I cannot remember her name) could become one of Mask's Chosen.

And most importantly:
What will Tazi think?--Erevis and Szass Tamm, a Shade and a Lich fighting over a living human woman--how ironic. If you haven't read "The Crimson Gold" then you are probably lost on this one, so go read it.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  13:32:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified
Who are the Third the Fourth and The Fifth of Mask---Does anyone think the women Cale met in Skullport(he escourted her home and I cannot remember her name) could become one of Mask's Chosen.

That's actually the first thought that went through my mind when Cale encountered her. I'm very curious to learn more about her and what she said to Cale when they parted.

quote:

And most importantly:
What will Tazi think?

What will she think about her friend being a shade now?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:52:08  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignorance Personified, to answer your question about Cale's wounds in the sunlight, I say they would not appear under the sun. The wounds are healed like any regenerative powers are supposed to work. The only reason the hand didn't come back because as we all know, minor healing spells or powers can't restore lost limbs. You have to cast specific spells for those.

Also, at the end of the second book Erevis Cale didn't teleport them away. It ended with them still at Skullport jumping off the tower with a couple of Skulls blasting at them with spells.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  17:18:37  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, about as classic as it gets in terms of "cliff-hanger" endings.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  06:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDH, thanks for the clarification on DnD rules, I assumed(incorrectly as usual) that his healing would only function in the dark (part of his innate Shade abilities) and that it has different boundries than "The Art."

But, you should not have clarified the ending (in that case ingnorance was bliss). Rushed reading often leads to things like that and that is what happens when I begin one book before finishing another, in this case it was The Song of... *sees moderator* I mean Elminister's Daughter.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  06:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Rushed reading often leads to things like that and that is what happens when I begin one book before finishing another, in this case it was The Song of... *sees moderator* I mean Elminister's Daughter.

Bwahahaha! Flee before me ... Tethtoril's gonna get you and your little dustbunnies too!! *pulls out a feather duster*

*cough* Not sure what came over me, must be getting close to Highharvestide. Ignore the man running behind the floating dustballs and continue with the wonderful discussion.

Tethtoril
Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  22:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also agree that Riven's actions at the end is a ploy. Remember that throughout the books, he lectures Cale numerously on leaving people alive after an altercation, you fight to kill. yet, he would go against his own word and NOT kill Cale? Only if it was a ploy, at least thats how I see it.

As for Skullport, I think the reader, along with Cale is meant to keep guessing what happened to it. remembret owards the end as Cale figures out what is happening, he keeps referring back to what will happen to Varra, the girl he met in Skyllport, if the slaadi were able to follow through with their deed. And the Sojourner even hints at the possibility that the Skulls could save the city. I would wager that Skullport survived and that at the end of book 3, Cale will end up with Varra and not Tazi.

Also, I'd really like to get to know more about Riven. What really happened to him the first time around when he was in Skullport, as this gets alluded to a couple of times? And also, what is this thing he has for protecting dogs and why?
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  23:28:04  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignorance Personified.The Fourth of Mask was stated to be Avner of Hartsvale.If you've read the fourth and fifth books of The Avatar Series then you would have read about him.Also he is in the Twilight Giants trilogy as well.I also ponder who is the fifth.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  00:39:38  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VEDSICA, is he the one that becomes the Seraph of Thieves after rescuing Mystra?

Hmmm... so is he dead or not?

Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  17:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Also, at the end of the second book Erevis Cale didn't teleport them away. It ended with them still at Skullport jumping off the tower with a couple of Skulls blasting at them with spells.

I agree with your assessment that he didn't teleport, but I do believe he shadow walked, using the shadows that would be found along side the tower, probably taking them closer back to skullport.

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' -Socrates
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  18:05:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would he be able to? I mean, Erevis Cale is badly injured and I don't think he has the strength to concentrate on shadowalking...

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  22:57:02  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible spoiler......

If I recall DDH.Avner became the Seraph of Death during the trial of Cyric when he accused Mystra and Kelemvor of being lax in their duties.Kelemvor bade Avner to witness(damn forgot the number now)a certain amount of deaths,and report back to him what he witnessed.Now this is in short form.Avner was doomed to be Faithless,but in the Twilight Giants trilogy.Avner,unbeknowst to him made offerings to Mask.When it came time for Avners judgement.Avner argued that he belonged to Torm,but Mask appeared,and proved that Avner belonged to him.To the dismay of Mystra and Torm.Kelemvor released Avner to Mask,and now we have a fourth Choasen of Mask...I might be wrong on some things,but I think I am close.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  09:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!
I was slightly worried about this novel and where it would lead. Dont get me wrong, I think Paul Kemps writing is amazing, and I love Cale and all that was written in Twilight Falling...but im not a huge fan of the planes so was concerned that Dawn of Night would be based in the Plane of Shadow too much. However, the scenes on the plane were fantastic, very atmospheric and eerie. The way Skullport is depicted is the best ive read yet, I got the true flavor of the place.

The book ranks up there with the best of 'em, IMO. 9/10

Excellent scene with Riven and the wounded dog... fits nicely with the previous book and shows a soft side to Riven

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  15:12:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Excellent scene with Riven and the wounded dog... fits nicely with the previous book and shows a soft side to Riven

Agreed, he's a character with depths. Such a character is always a joy to read about.
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  05:53:29  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember reading a sentence in which Cale had a vision of Mask stabbing Cyric(my memory is fuzzy on that), but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it in this book. Does anyone know of the page?

And if so, what do you make of that?

Edited by - CurseLord on 30 Jun 2004 05:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I just completed Dawn of Night, I can't remember the page where that was mentioned.

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable novel, the team work of Cale and others really started to shape here. Events in the Plane of Shadow were interesting but when they travelled to Skullport, things really picked up. The decadency of Skullport was well described. The slaadi were interesting and humorous, in their own way, especially Aziim.
The plot twist at the end really surprised me for a moment. I have my opinions of that but I'll wait to see the result.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  18:21:49  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Possible spoiler......

If I recall DDH.Avner became the Seraph of Death during the trial of Cyric when he accused Mystra and Kelemvor of being lax in their duties.Kelemvor bade Avner to witness(damn forgot the number now)a certain amount of deaths,and report back to him what he witnessed.Now this is in short form.Avner was doomed to be Faithless,but in the Twilight Giants trilogy.Avner,unbeknowst to him made offerings to Mask.When it came time for Avners judgement.Avner argued that he belonged to Torm,but Mask appeared,and proved that Avner belonged to him.To the dismay of Mystra and Torm.Kelemvor released Avner to Mask,and now we have a fourth Choasen of Mask...I might be wrong on some things,but I think I am close.

Yes, you are right. I knew that part already though.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  15:40:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

I think I remember reading a sentence in which Cale had a vision of Mask stabbing Cyric(my memory is fuzzy on that), but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it in this book. Does anyone know of the page?

Curselord,

I believe you may be remembering a dream/vision sequence from the Cale short story that appeared in Dragon 297, "All the Sinners Saints."

Also, to avoid peppering the thread with ten separate thank you notes, I waited until things quieted so I could offer (with only one post) my thanks to everyone. So: Thank you all. I very much appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts.

Paul

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  01:23:02  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU NOTE #1:

I just want to say that the Erevis Cale trilogy is very good. Erevis is a very interesting if not strange character. I like how he serves Mask faithfully and rised to become the First of the Five even though he thinks the Shadowlord is a bastard and hates his patron. Lol. I haven't read the Sembia series but after reading about this follower of Mask, I can't wait to get the series and find more about him!

Can't wait for Midnight's Mask to come out! Can you please reveal some info on the last book? PLEASE!!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  13:54:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

THANK YOU NOTE #1:

I just want to say that the Erevis Cale trilogy is very good. Erevis is a very interesting if not strange character. I like how he serves Mask faithfully and rised to become the First of the Five even though he thinks the Shadowlord is a bastard and hates his patron. Lol. I haven't read the Sembia series but after reading about this follower of Mask, I can't wait to get the series and find more about him!

Can't wait for Midnight's Mask to come out! Can you please reveal some info on the last book? PLEASE!!

DDH,

I meant that I didn't want to fill the thread with thank you notes *from me* to all of you readers with nice things to say, not the other way around.

As for Midnight's Mask: I can't say much. I'll say this, though: I think you will be surprised with how it unfolds and how it ends. Cale, Jak, and Riven are in for still more changes, and the Sojourner's plot -- both incredibly ambitious and surprisingly simple -- will be revealed.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000