Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dawn of Night (Spoilers for Erevis Cale Trilogy)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  00:10:45  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot, Paul. Now all you did was make me even more curious about what's going to happen in the third book. You and your money-making idea... Lol.

Well, can you at least tell me who this Kesson Rel is? I've never heard of him until reading your book. This Chosen of Mask sounds like a really powerful character since he transported a whole city to the Plane of Shadows.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  01:39:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Thanks a lot, Paul. Now all you did was make me even more curious about what's going to happen in the third book. You and your money-making idea... Lol.

Well, can you at least tell me who this Kesson Rel is? I've never heard of him until reading your book. This Chosen of Mask sounds like a really powerful character since he transported a whole city to the Plane of Shadows.

DDH,

My short story in the upcoming, "Realms of Dragons" anthology tells a tale of Kesson Rel and indirectly touches on the ultimate fates of Cale and Riven. It's entitled "Soulbound," and involves Furlinastis, the shadow dragon faced by Cale and Co. on the Plane of Shadow. The story explains the origin of the sentient shadows that were bound to Furlinastis.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  02:51:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms of Dragons? I might just get that along with my other FR books that I'm missing. Wait... damn! This means I've to buy ANOTHER book to find out what I wanna know. Another money-making scheme that I fell for. Lol.

Go to Top of Page

Panador
Acolyte

Austria
28 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  23:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Panador's Homepage Send Panador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first two books of the Erevis Cale Trilogy - absolutely great by the way :) - and didn't think much about it when the goal of the Sojourner, the Crown of Fire, was revealed. But just now I read a little bit about Shandril and the Spellfire ability and stumbled about the 9th level "Crown of Fire". Are those two the same thing?

Considerig the Sojourner needs the Weave Tap, a immensely powerful artifact which uses magic from the Shadow Weave as well as from the "normal" Weave and that the Spellfire ability 'Crown of Fire' is one of the most powerful... "spells" if not the most powerful one of the just ridiculously powerful ability Spellfire (damn, quite a lot abilities ) it may at least be possible, right?

If it's already been discussed - I just registered here so I don't know about past discussions, I tried the search with "crown of fire" but there were just too many hits to look at all of them.

I wonder about those two similiar terms - are they really one and the same or is it just a coincidence?

*Still thinking about a signature...*
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  00:02:52  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure myself but it seems like a good theory. After all, the Sojourner's plan heavily involves both the Weave and the Shadow Weave.

Go to Top of Page

Panador
Acolyte

Austria
28 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  08:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Panador's Homepage Send Panador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think Spellfire ist a very, very powerful ability and maybe the Weave Tap, using both magic from the Weave and the Shadow Weave, ist the only thing cabable of... emulating Spellfire-abilities.

btw. Concerning Riven's betrayal - I haven't read all the stuff said up to now in this topic so sorry if I repeat things already stats - I also think Riven's just trying to get closer to the Sojourner and collect more information about him and his plans etc and maybe he didn't even try to hurt Cale too much, because he knew it would be hopeless because shades are indestructible. At least in the Return of the Archwizards series it was said, that shades are invulnerable - two Shade-Enclave shade even invaded a dragon's place and were attacked by his breath-weapon mutliple times and they didn't die, so I don't think a simple stab oder something like that could Cale outright.

*Still thinking about a signature...*

Edited by - Panador on 29 Jul 2004 08:28:35
Go to Top of Page

Windshear
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  15:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Windshear's Homepage Send Windshear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason when I read Twilight Falling, and reading through the spoilers now... I got/get the impression that Riven was a hell of a lot (no pun intended) like Daryth from the Moonshae trilogy. He was a Calimshite thief/spy/whatever who was also trained as a dog handler... or something like that.

character recycling perhaps?

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  16:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Windshear

For some reason when I read Twilight Falling, and reading through the spoilers now... I got/get the impression that Riven was a hell of a lot (no pun intended) like Daryth from the Moonshae trilogy. He was a Calimshite thief/spy/whatever who was also trained as a dog handler... or something like that.

character recycling perhaps?

I disagree. Riven is far from being like Daryth. Riven is much darker and deeper and has a completely different mindset. Its been some time since I read about Daryth but I never put them alike.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  03:11:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my, its been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but since I was late to the party and just finished the book, I had to give my two coppers worth.

This was by far one of the best Realms books I have read in a long time. I love how conflicted Erevis is, and he seems to be a much more interesting balance of a "neutral" character than others that I have seen portrayed. He is really shown running the gamut between not caring , being cold blooded, caring too much, and fighting both extreems, and all in a way that seems natural internally to the character and isn't forced.

I love it when authors can create characters that you know are evil, and you wish would rot in Hell, but yet from time to time you are still reminded that they are human and have some good points as well. I know full well Riven is a . . . ahem . . . sorry excuse for a human, and most of the time I hate his guts, but then again . . . the dogs, the pipe . . . its classic.

I like Megadon for the most part, though I think he is the least developed characters so far. I really liked Paul's choice for who his father was, in order to make a big splash, but not the biggest. I don't know why, but somehow it seems more like a shocking event and not just a cheap plot by making it #2 rather than #1, if you take my meaning.

I love the idea of what amounts to a not too far from typical halfling like Jak in a novel that is much darker than we usually see halfings wandering around in. In a way, Jak's much more innocent reaction to some of the worst things that happen keep the book from feeling like its just bludgeoning us with grim immages. Seeing Jak get upset and sick and flustered lets us know its okay to break the surface and come up for air once in a while.

The Sojourner is one of the best villains in a long time, in part because he is, at the end of the second book, still not showing his hand. Apparently his plot is much simpler than the steps required to set up his plan, and if Paul pulls that off it will be brilliant. I also like the references to the Gith revolution being a multi world event.

Finally, Skullport has for many years been one of my favorite places to send PCs in order to make their lives difficult. Purely as a DMs tool I love the place, so I hope it manages to survive at least to a workable degree. I do wonder, however, if Paul excluded the skulls ability to summon the Wizshades as being a bit over the top in a book with the darker tone that he has already set.

Overall, this was great!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  10:29:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

This was by far one of the best Realms books I have read in a long time...<snip>
Overall, this was great!

Well met

I heartily agree. Absolutely fantastic This novel is fighting for the top spot in my most favorite FR novels of all time. There are so many wonderfully written scenes that sent shivers down my spine, had me gasping, and just astounded me. I was concerned about the novel at first before starting to read, simply because I thought that Twilight Falling couldn't be beaten

I can't put into words how i'm feeling about the pending release of Midnight's Mask!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic