Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Finder's Stone Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  08:44:04  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would I be missing out on much by skipping to book 3 and then reading book 2 afterward?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  09:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really

I skipped book 2, the only thing you'll miss is a background history for a character who is introduced in Tymoras luck

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  11:34:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book 2 is my favorite of the three...

You'll also miss finding out exactly how the Nameless Bard's name was rediscovered.

Still, Dargoth is right, and the book can be skipped with little difficulty. I, personally, don't recommend it, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  17:27:52  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmm. Ok, thanks.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  22:33:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But keep in mind that I like the characters from that book a lot more than Alias and Dragonbait. Giogionni Wyvernspur, one of the main characters, was the one Alias tried to kill at the wedding in Azure Bonds. Two other characters are "sisters" of Alias, from the end of that book.

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  03:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As mentioned above, The Wyvern's Spur could be skipped without too much difficulty - the trade-off being that you miss out on some nice early-Realms, 'Grubby' Realms-flavour.

Adds background for some of the characters in book 3.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  03:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's a good read in its own right... I'm of the opinion that Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb are some of the best Realms writers out there. I'd love to see them do more...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  15:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Finder's Stone Trilogy and the books which follow. I long wish for a collectors edition containing all the books together.

To answer the question, book 2 is really an independant story and I guess it can be skipped, however, I'd highly recommend it and I actually prefered the novel over books 1 and 3!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  19:43:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I love the Finder's Stone Trilogy and the books which follow. I long wish for a collectors edition containing all the books together.

To answer the question, book 2 is really an independant story and I guess it can be skipped, however, I'd highly recommend it and I actually prefered the novel over books 1 and 3!

As do I.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  21:16:54  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if anybody gets angry about re-opening this thread (i suppouse nobody will ), but I am reading at this moment The Wyvern's Spur, after reading Azure Bonds, and I would like to know the whole titles that form part of the story, I thought that the only one that rested to read was The song of the Saurials, but I have read things about Finder's Bane ...

So please, if any scribe here can detail me the list of the complete novels forming part of the "plot" I would really appreciate that

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  21:23:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, and Song of the Saurials are the official trilogy, but Masquerades follows Alias, and Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck tied into the original Trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  21:36:00  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, and Song of the Saurials are the official trilogy, but Masquerades follows Alias, and Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck tied into the original Trilogy.

Thank you very much, I will think of it when i finish reading The song of the Saurials, I am afraid it will be soon,

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  23:03:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add in a bit more info... Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck are linked to the original trilogy, but aren't really a part of it. One of the main characters in these two books is a character from the original trilogy, but only that one. There are mentions in Tymora's Luck of some of the other characters (and evidence of time having passed since the trilogy), but that's it.

The two books are actually part of the Lost Gods trilogy. Book 2 of that trilogy is a Dragginglance novel, Fistandantilus Reborn. It's not really a great book, in my opinion. It's written by someone whose name escapes me, and doesn't really tie into the other two books. It introduces a character who goes on to be a major character in Tymora's Luck, but you can easily skip the 2nd book and go straight to the 3rd without missing anything.

Masquerades, as mentioned earlier, is basically a stand-alone sequel to the Finder's Stone trilogy.

All of the books (except that DL one I mentioned) are worth tracking down and reading -- Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb are among the best Realms writers we've ever had.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  18:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To add in a bit more info... Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck are linked to the original trilogy, but aren't really a part of it. One of the main characters in these two books is a character from the original trilogy, but only that one.

Wooly, which character?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  22:53:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

To add in a bit more info... Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck are linked to the original trilogy, but aren't really a part of it. One of the main characters in these two books is a character from the original trilogy, but only that one.

Wooly, which character?

I'm avoiding naming that character, because doing so would reveal a couple spoilers.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  11:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, pardon me, I guess the character in both the finder stone trilogy and Tymora Luck should be Finder Wyvernspur, who is now a god of reckless fools.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  21:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Wooly, which character?

I'm avoiding naming that character, because doing so would reveal a couple spoilers.

Ahhh, I better get to reading then! Thanks Wooly.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000