Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Master of Chains (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  18:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone read the excerpt of Master of Chains, by Jess LeBow at the back of Maiden of Pain yet?

I thought it was excellent! A nice introduction to the characters, with a dramatic start and very well written, with plenty of emotion and feeling.

I'm very excited about reading the novel when it's released in September

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  21:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Has anyone read the excerpt of Master of Chains, by Jess LeBow at the back of Maiden of Pain yet?

I thought it was excellent! A nice introduction to the characters, with a dramatic start and very well written, with plenty of emotion and feeling.

I really enjoyed the excerpt as well. I liked Jess Lebow's contributions to the Realms of Shadow and Realms of the Dragons anthologies, "Assassin's Shadow" and "The Topaz Dragon," respectively. "Assassin's Shadow" even made it in to Best of the Realms Volume 1, and yet this is his first novel in the Realms. I look forward to this novel, I am expecting great things.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  03:29:38  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could either of you perhaps summarize this excerpt? I'm quite interested in this novel, as a chain-wielding fighter seems to be quite unique.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  09:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master of Chains is not currently on my to-buy list but this could change pending good reviews and/or sudden change in minds. Since there is an excerpt in MoP I'll go check it out. The concept of a chain-wielder seems fun and Jess Lebow's Assassin's Shadow was very good. Topaz Dragon wasn't that outstanding though and if it had been, maybe I would have decided to straight away get MoC
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  12:44:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Master of Chains is not currently on my to-buy list but this could change pending good reviews and/or sudden change in minds. Since there is an excerpt in MoP I'll go check it out.

Next time I see MoP in the stores, I might check out the sample chapter. As of right now, I'm with you on buying it.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Could either of you perhaps summarize this excerpt? I'm quite interested in this novel, as a chain-wielding fighter seems to be quite unique.

Basically, two brothers are part of a group of rebels fighting against an unjust lord. They get set up, and things turn out badly for them. No chain fighting at this point, but I really enjoyed the excerpt.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  19:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also picked this up today at Waldenbooks, if anyone is looking for it. I just read the first 30 or so pages, and I'll just say it's off to a good start, and I can't wait to get deeper into it.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  23:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I would hereby like to welcome Jess Lebow, author of Master of Chains, to Candlekeep

Please post any reviews, comments and questions on this novel herein. Or if ye have any general questions then ye may put them to Jess on this scroll.

I'm sure my fellow scribes wish thee a very warm welcome to Candlekeep, Jess Lebow

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  00:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I'm definitely intrigued by it.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, all,

I just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I've been looking forward to the release of this book for over a year now. I hope you all enjoy it.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

I've been looking forward to the release of this book for over a year now. I hope you all enjoy it.

-Jess

Well met

Aye, me too The excerpt was spendid. I personally felt drawn in straight away to the characters and setting and am eager to read more upon obtaining this tome.

Can ye tell us a brief overview of where the tale is set and what exactly is a "master of chains"?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  00:29:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, all,

I just wanted to drop in and say hello.

-Jess

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  17:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

-Jess

Well met

Aye, me too The excerpt was spendid. I personally felt drawn in straight away to the characters and setting and am eager to read more upon obtaining this tome.

Can ye tell us a brief overview of where the tale is set and what exactly is a "master of chains"?

I can answer that: Erlkazar! One of my (admittedly many) favorite places in the realms.
I too liked the excerpt and am looking forward to this book, being in Erlkazar and featuring a chain-fighting warrior - something I've thought of myself and thought would be an interesting story. The whole book, as far as I can tell, is a kind of tale I would (try) to write myself, and I'd like to see how Jess does it. You've got a sale here, Jess!
This, along with Bladesinger, are the two novels I have looked forward to most out of the 'Class' series.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  05:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

-Jess

Well met

Rest assured, the characters continue to draw you in. Ryder's transformation into the Master of Chains was very well done, and Liam was so well written he practically jumped from the pages and stood behind me as I read. The story adds tremendous detail and depth to Erlkazar, providing us with some excellent Realmslore.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  20:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again,

Alaundo: Master of Chains, as Smyther astutely pointed out, is set in Erlkazar, in the barony of Alarkham. To my mind, a Master of Chains is a somewhat corrupted fighter who has taken to using the spiked chain as his weapon of choice.

Wooly: Thanks. Glad to be here.

Smyther: I'll be really interested in what you think of the book after you've finished reading. Hopefully I can live up to your expectations.

Xysma: Wow. Liam would thank you.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  20:49:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found my copy and the next priest novel but I have to finish rereading/reading my Harry Potter books before I can get to them. So it'll be awhile.

And welcome Jess. :) Or do you prefer Mr. Lebow?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  02:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kuje.

Please, call me Jess. No need to be formal. We're all friends here, right?

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  02:34:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Kuje.

Please, call me Jess. No need to be formal. We're all friends here, right?

-Jess

Jess it is then. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  20:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Xysma: Wow. Liam would thank you.

He already did. Seriously, not to take anything away from Ryder, he was a good solid character, but I found myself caring about Liam much more than Ryder. Of course, based on the ending, Ryder may become much more interesting in the future.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  00:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost hate to ask, but what happened to the Realm of Erlkazar now that the Realms map for 3E has shifted (ie. the area of Erlkazar used to be right near Tethyr, but now it's shifted northward)?

Just curious as to how that was dealt with. And of course I'll buy and read this book--I am the kind of Realms fan who will read every FR book that comes out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  03:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez....I'm feeling old.....so many things started and left unfinished, and others are filling in the gaps. Great!

Jess is writing books in my old campaign area, so I'd better read his book....if only because I want to see how he sees Erlkazar. And for the record, just because the map's shifted doesn't change one whit of the lore that's in place for Erlkazar...any more than being all hills and mountains makes Scotland uninhabitable.

Richard Lee Byers picked up my shalarin for Queen of the Depths, so I'd better read that one too....again, because I'm curious to see Seros through someone else's eyes too....

Wonder what other toys I left lying around are being played with by others? (And THO, if you're going to use that, let me show you how to get the best...playability....out of it. )

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 02 Sep 2005 03:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  17:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just going to say that we should pose the map shifting question to Steven, since he's really the Keeper of All Knowledge when it comes to Erlkazar.

I'll be curious what you think about how I handled Lord Purdun (Old Firefist) and King Korox. There was a ton of really good stuff in the Lands of Intrigue books that I used, and I know all of that was your baby.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  03:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic novel, Jess...absolutely excellent...possibly the best representation of realms vampires I've yet seen. Very, very chilling group.

Now, I gotta ask since you left it open: Will there be a sequel?
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  18:29:44  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Master of Chains now and enjoying it very much. I'm curious in which other Realms novels do Vampires appear in thanks?
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  19:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ethriel.

To answer your question, I don't currently have plans to write a sequel, but I'd really like to. Perhaps if Master of Chains does well enough, I'll get to write one.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  22:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for one, I'd love to see it...the end, you have to admit, was incredibly open-ended what with Sharessa, Ryder'n Liam and all.

Who knows, this could be the start of a succesful group of characters...I hope so, anyways. This definitely deserves closure
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  22:18:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Mr. Lebow. I really enjoyed your two short stories, and the excerpt was great.

I was just wondering - what gave you this concept to write about a fighter that used chains as a weapon? I don't generally associate chains and high fantasy settings, but I look forward to what you are offering! thanks!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  22:36:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I was just wondering - what gave you this concept to write about a fighter that used chains as a weapon? I don't generally associate chains and high fantasy settings, but I look forward to what you are offering! thanks!

C-Fb

Well...... all those fighters of Loviatar have to use something besides whips..... so there's that whips and chains thing. :) Okay, it's not that amusing but it is to me. :)

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  23:12:45  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm telling you... Loviatar has got some crazy followers! No wonder all those bored noble children are being led down the wrong path!!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  04:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Jess is writing books in my old campaign area, so I'd better read his book....if only because I want to see how he sees Erlkazar. And for the record, just because the map's shifted doesn't change one whit of the lore that's in place for Erlkazar...any more than being all hills and mountains makes Scotland uninhabitable.

I realize that, but I just wanted to know how the change was handled. :)

In any case, this book is definitely on my to-read pile.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  05:32:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the book at the store today... But between the books and other stuff I was buying, I wound up dropping $220 today. So I had to hold off on this one.

I did, however, but two other Realms novels, Sons of Gruumsh, and Dungeon 127. I'll get this novel in a couple weeks.

Of course, it'll be longer before I can read it. I'm currently reading a non-Realms novel that Ed and THO spoke highly off, and then I've got four other Realms novels to read...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000