Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate 3
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:01:14  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just discovered that they are doing third part to Baldur's gate series.

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/forum/31.html

There are discussions of that, but is here anyone to discuss it?

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems pretty vague to me.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:57:03  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bioware seems pretty quiet about it. Looks like to me that this is a "dead" forum that was originally intended for Throne of Bhaal that someone is trying to revive with misinformation. I'll believe it when I see the press release from Infograms/Atari or Bioware.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 09 Jul 2005 23:58:10
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  00:04:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there was an article in PC Gamer about a year ago that said that Baldur's Gate 3 was in development by Atari, but Bioware has nothing to do with it. The engine will be 3d, but it is going to focus on a time period closer to the founding of Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  00:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG3 was believed to be the unannounced project that Blackisle studios where working on before the company went bust. JE Sawyer posted a few pictures at the time (I seem to recall it was a man and his dog walking through a forest) it was also hinted that it would be set in Mistledale. While it would have the BG name it would not feature the Bhaal spawn sage and it would not be a sequel to the other 2 games

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  11:20:02  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK.
I read too that it's 3D. I'm very eagerly looking forward to see where it takes place, and especially what year. I believe what Dargoth said, the story isn't about Bhaalspawn saga. The saga ended in Throne of Bhaal.
Go to Top of Page

Grumpi
Acolyte

Bulgaria
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  16:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Grumpi's Homepage Send Grumpi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG3 plot will be situated centuries before Bhaalspawn saga.

Actually BG3 will be prequel to original BG games.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  00:29:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what Dargoth was talking about. Black Isle was actually working on a Baldur's Gate 3 game before it went under, and it would have been set in present day FR, though we didn't know much about what else was going to happen in the game (except that I beleive they had hired on Sean K Reynolds to work on the development). When they went under, the project died.

Atari has now picked up the idea of Baldur's Gate 3 and is making a prequel set at the founding of Baldur's Gate that has nothing to do with the work that Black Isle had done on the game up to that point.

So everyone is right, lol.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  22:26:56  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I know what Dargoth was talking about. Black Isle was actually working on a Baldur's Gate 3 game before it went under, and it would have been set in present day FR, though we didn't know much about what else was going to happen in the game (except that I beleive they had hired on Sean K Reynolds to work on the development). When they went under, the project died.

Atari has now picked up the idea of Baldur's Gate 3 and is making a prequel set at the founding of Baldur's Gate that has nothing to do with the work that Black Isle had done on the game up to that point.

So everyone is right, lol.

Exactly
Go to Top of Page

moon of abyss
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:23:18  Show Profile  Visit moon of abyss's Homepage Send moon of abyss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i do not exactly remember how much i finished BG series... i wish that if BG3 really shows up it happens to be a game which deserves the success and creativity of the first 2 games...

this is a project i am really waiting eagerly...

"Yes my ravenous friend" he said quietly, "but there remains two problems."

"First, I work alone."

"And second," Entreri continued, without missing a breath, "you are dead."
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  14:36:04  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE another BG game, but I really hope they keep it like it was and dont go down the Neverwinter Nights path with it which was good for that game but wouldnt be for Baldur's Gate.

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

DrJackal
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  15:18:42  Show Profile  Visit DrJackal's Homepage Send DrJackal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. The NeverWinter Nights just doesn't grab me as much as the BG series does. NWN is far, far too quiet -- no party of characters and interaction between them.

"I was never on anyone's side in the first place, so how could I betray them?" -- Akabane Kuroudo.

"No man is a black magician in his own eyes." --- Richard Cavendish, The Black Arts
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  20:38:02  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must recognize that at first NWN didn't attracted me so much as Baldur's Gate did, but finally it caught me up. The story of Aribeth is deeply interesting (saving Bastila's from KOTOR similitudes ), and the possibility of using her in Hordes made me VERY happy. Of course until you find Mephistopheles there's no charismatic bad guy in the whole game. But once he appears the game really starts to be serious. And it has a couple of good cameos just as Halasster and Durnam (yes I know they are from Hordes), those things made NWN raise a similar position in "my heart" than Baldur's Gate games. But I deeply missed the relationships between the playing chars, just as Jaheira and Viconia did in BG.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 23 Sep 2005 20:39:21
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the major flaws of NWN is that you couldn`t have a party, only a henchman. And, as has been mentioned already, NWN sucked royally in the realmslore department. Also, for some reason I can`t explain, the game didn`t ensnare me as BG2 had done. I can`t explain it. NWN just seemed to lack the glory of BG and BG2.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  20:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
Also, for some reason I can`t explain, the game didn`t ensnare me as BG2 had done. I can`t explain it. NWN just seemed to lack the glory of BG and BG2.

My guess is (and this is true for me, too) because NWN lacks the wonderful characters--esp. party members--to interact with. However, I though Hordes of the Underdark came close to recapturing the feeling I got when I played BG2.

Also, some free modules on Neverwinter Vault are better than the modules put out by Bioware.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  21:01:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Also, for some reason I can`t explain, the game didn`t ensnare me as BG2 had done. I can`t explain it. NWN just seemed to lack the glory of BG and BG2.

My guess is (and this is true for me, too) because NWN lacks the wonderful characters--esp. party members--to interact with. However, I though Hordes of the Underdark came close to recapturing the feeling I got when I played BG2.

Also, some free modules on Neverwinter Vault are better than the modules put out by Bioware.

Hordes of the Underdark was better than the original NWN campaign and Shadows of Undrentide combined.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

DrJackal
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  00:34:10  Show Profile  Visit DrJackal's Homepage Send DrJackal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh! When NWN came out, a friend and I talked about doing FR-based modules: I've got the source material, she's better at the techy-programming-the-module end, and we'd both work on the plots. Unfortunately, her computer is too old to run NWN, and she hasn't been able to upgrade. (Though hopefully, that will change by the end of the year).

"I was never on anyone's side in the first place, so how could I betray them?" -- Akabane Kuroudo.

"No man is a black magician in his own eyes." --- Richard Cavendish, The Black Arts
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  21:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm always on the lookout for great FR games. If you and your friend make them, I'll play them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2005 :  20:54:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hordes of the Underdark was better than the original NWN campaign and Shadows of Undrentide combined.

I don't know, I figured the original game was just as good as the Hordes of Underdark, though I am trying to figure out how to get the helpful Dark Elf, whose name slips my mind or Aribeth to end up being my true love. I keep getting the no one answer. Stupid Sleeping Man.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  13:46:18  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Stupid Sleeping Man.

I hate that guy!, I took Nathyrra as a partner, I don't know how to get Aribeth.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

DrJackal
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  17:05:36  Show Profile  Visit DrJackal's Homepage Send DrJackal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, I'm always on the lookout for great FR games. If you and your friend make them, I'll play them.

Cool. It's why I've been saving up bits and pieces of Realmslore, here and there.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  17:26:46  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I missed out on Nathyrra because I had no idea I could resurrect her in the third chapter... my bad! Oh well.. I am playing through it again and this time I will pick her up when I end up with Cania.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  21:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
even if someone made a FR game that was called baldurs gate and was set in mistledale or if they made an fr game that continued the haalspawn saga, it wouldnt be as cool as the badlurs gate series. Black isle went down and its designers split to other companies and nop longer work together so its not the same at all.

btw the bhaal spawn series is blown out of proportion

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  04:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know its a little late to reply to this topic now, but I thought I´d share my views . My pc is the equivalent of a rusty box with hamster wheels for an engine, and a kerosine lamp in the monitor. I bought NWN SoU and besides taking half a freekin day to install it, I was sure I wasted my doe on even if it had worked.

I agree that Baldur´s Gate is much more captivating and is by far my fav. game. In NWN the characters seemed ...cubical, like a Picasso painting.

Anyway, the whole plague story, the Waterdavian creatures seems shallow and the henchmen dying then appearing back at the Tyr temple with a rock is´nt really heartstopping action in my opinion.

Besides...Aribeth´s hair?! No way baybay!!!

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Zeb
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  10:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Zeb's Homepage Send Zeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

even if someone made a FR game that was called baldurs gate and was set in mistledale or if they made an fr game that continued the haalspawn saga, it wouldnt be as cool as the badlurs gate series. Black isle went down and its designers split to other companies and nop longer work together so its not the same at all.

Yeah, except it wasn't Black Isle that developed Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2, it was Bioware. Black Isle just published it.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  15:48:09  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alls the better for us then. Since Bioware is still up and kicking, maybe they'd update BG to 3.0E with some better graphics.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  17:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Alls the better for us then. Since Bioware is still up and kicking, maybe they'd update BG to 3.0E with some better graphics.

C-Fb

Doubt it-they've moved on to bigger things, like being joined to MS at the hip.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  20:20:23  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true - but one could hope, you know? I wouldn't mind seeing BG remade, but then again, remakes of games tend to be not so good (a la Wolfenstein, Speedball, etc).

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  20:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* I think the best we can expect from Bioware, regarding NWN, is them putting out premium mods for it.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  20:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

That's true - but one could hope, you know? I wouldn't mind seeing BG remade, but then again, remakes of games tend to be not so good (a la Wolfenstein, Speedball, etc).

C-Fb

Hey, hey, hey!

I play Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory at least once a week, thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  02:19:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, wasn't meant to be specific! Just meant that most remakes of games aren't all that good!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000