Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Possible closure of Sages of Realmslore forum
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  15:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

After discussions with the Head Scribes of Candlekeep, we decided to put it to the forum users to decide the possibility of closing down the Sages of Realmslore and Realms Events forums.

Although a few members have made use to categorise their topics and place them in these sections, many just use the General Forgotten Realms Chat forum to post such topics, leaving the above forum stale and generally unanswered.

So, do you think we should keep them as they are and simply move topics into these areas when theyre posted into the General forum, or just close them down, moving current topics into the General forum.

Keep or Ditch?

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  19:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMHO, I think it should be removed. I read things in all forums, but why post there when there's the General Forgotten Realms Chat where you can post almost anything? That's just MHO.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  19:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have prefered it to stay, it would be nice to know to go to those particular areas on the forum for specific topics on Realms events, like to read about the return of Shade and the latest history, rather than to trawl through the other many topics of the General area.

Still, if nobody uses it that way then theres no point. I think moving topics from General Chat to Sages of Realmslore etc would confuse people.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  20:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditch them. I have never used them anyway.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  09:08:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm much inclined to say 'keep 'em'. The idea is to create some structure and easy reference to find threads or information, and that is one of the primary functions of this forum if I'm not mistaken. The 'general chat' area is, in IMHO, over-abused by the scribes who are not using the appropriate posting 'rules'. In a regular library one doesn't find everything heaped together; things are filed more or less properly. I don't think it is too much to ask of the Candlekeep scribes to pay a little more attention to what they're posting and more specific where they're posting...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  14:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keeping the options open for folks is always a good idea...particularly when it has the chance to entice new members onto the forums...

Put another way...

Quite often, newer members to forums might be intimidated by the thought of tossing in their thoughts into a sort of "grand pool"...as it may seem that their posts might be ignored by the older members. Even though this is not the case, the use of other more specific forums may be a bit of a comfort to newer scribes who may know NOTHING about gaming, but are fans of the canon, etc....

Just my two coppers....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  17:50:11  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep them!
When we post something there the answer may be slow to come but it'll always be a good/interesting answer (do you understand what i mean).
Sometimes we can see anything in the General forum from a very interesting topic to a -in my opinion- uninteresting one (like "who would be the winner between ... and ..." and stuf like that)
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  19:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep it...Many new members may think that in Sages of Realmslore they can ask some hard questions and they will get an answer...

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  12:37:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 votes for removing,
5 votes for keeping...

With the forum still open, might we conclude that it will remain open, at least for the forseeable future?
Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal
2 votes for removing,
5 votes for keeping...

With the forum still open, might we conclude that it will remain open, at least for the forseeable future?

We will be keeping the Sages of Realmslore and Realms Events forums for the time being. Once Alaundo has a spare moment, he will be moving some topics from the General Chat forum into these two forums where appropriate.

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

Edited by - Candlekeep Webmaster on 17 Feb 2003 13:31:07
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  17:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be a little late, but I'll add my two coppers as well.

KEEP! I read the Realms Events, and I also have posted to the Sages forum. I think that the Sages should be kept, definitely; where else would questions such as those I've asked be aswered in such fashion?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  17:18:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Bookwyrm, you've set me thinking... just a brainstorm idea.

"Wouldn't it be nice if the Sages of Realmslore also became a more 'roleplaying' type of forum"

I mean that as follows. When posting a question it might be nice to answer it in a fashion as if it were a resident Faerunian sage speaking. Any product references could be hyperlinks to products discussed on the Candlekeep website proper or mentioned at the bottom of the post in an OOC (Out Of Character) note...

Again, just an idea that popped up...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  17:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it would be nice if more posts were in-character . . . not just the Sages of Realmslore forum. I try to do that whenever I can think of a way to phrase them right . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  17:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite what I have said earlier, I am glad that they stay. Probably because I have begun using them in the meantime.

I do not think that in-character posts add anything to a debate. Not that I dislike them but I do not think that they enhance a post. I prefer the two things seperated. I suppose one of the reasons for opening the Candlekeep Inn is to lessen the degree of in-character posts in the other sub-forums...?

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  18:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Echon
I do not think that in-character posts add anything to a debate. Not that I dislike them but I do not think that they enhance a post. I prefer the two things seperated. I suppose one of the reasons for opening the Candlekeep Inn is to lessen the degree of in-character posts in the other sub-forums...?

Quite correct Echon. We wanted to try and concentrate the In-Character chat to the Candlekeep Inn. Some visitors to the forum may want a straight answer and find it an annoyance to have to read through "IC speak" to get to the point. However, it is a good idea Mumadar, ill ponder over it a while

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly