Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which is your favorite deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  06:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. That just seems weird to me. A Sunian paladin just . . . doesn't sound right.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  16:58:45  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No it doesn't. I have never heard of paladins for Sune but I am happy to take Mumadar's word for it

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Araushnee
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  19:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Araushnee's Homepage Send Araushnee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite deity would have to be Lloth. She commands total respect from her followers. It must be great to have mortals scrambling all over each other for your favor. Anything you say would be immediately carried out without question. Plus, her followers are actually intelligent; not like Grummsh's stupid orcs.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  21:28:44  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact few followers (if any) argue when their deity orders something, elves, halflings, humans,... And i'm sure Cyrics followers shakes when he is in front of him
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  22:58:55  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Araushnee

My favorite deity would have to be Lloth. She commands total respect from her followers. It must be great to have mortals scrambling all over each other for your favor. Anything you say would be immediately carried out without question. Plus, her followers are actually intelligent; not like Grummsh's stupid orcs.

*Looks up from polishing a heavy bladed broadsword in the corner and flings a scroll at Araushnee*

"You better run along "Missy" before Nighteyes finishes up in the Inn"

"Oh, and by the way it is not wise to mistake fear for respect. I don't think it's possible to respect Lolth, there's nothing there to be respected."

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  00:08:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Bookwyrm, Palladins don't worship Sune

Are you so certain of this Zemd? Hmmmmmm....

Well perhaps you should open too page 26 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign guide for 3e. Under the section called special paladin orders you will read as follows:

SUNE Paladins of the Firehair defend things of beauty. They seek out and destroy creatures that are particularly hideous in their evil. They tend to be incredibly self-confident and are particularly effective at destroying undead. They may multiclass freely as divine champions. Paladins may choose Sune as a patron diety despite the fact that she is a Chaotic-good deity. This is an exception to the normal requirement to select a patron deity whose alignment is no more than one step different from yours.

There you go page 26. I have a particularly effective paladin of Sune in my campaign at this time. Currently the priests and priestesses of Sune are working on a Holy Avenger just for her

Once again pg 26 FR3E

The Jungland wastes are not to be travelled lightly......

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The wise mongoose
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  03:16:01  Show Profile  Visit The wise mongoose's Homepage Send The wise mongoose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....Hmmmmm.... My Favorit deity is Silvanus I love nature. Oh man, I would give my left arm to be a druid in real life. **walks out the door and hugs the nearest tree he can find** Oh yeah. I realize there are druids in real life, but I would like to be the kind you find in books; rather than your irish sacraficing druids.

Mongoose
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  05:50:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

Don't worry Bookwyrm, Palladins don't worship Sune

Are you so certain of this Zemd? Hmmmmmm....

Well perhaps you should open too page 26 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign guide for 3e. Under the section called special paladin orders you will read as follows:

SUNE Paladins of the Firehair defend things of beauty. They seek out and destroy creatures that are particularly hideous in their evil. They tend to be incredibly self-confident and are particularly effective at destroying undead. They may multiclass freely as divine champions. Paladins may choose Sune as a patron diety despite the fact that she is a Chaotic-good deity. This is an exception to the normal requirement to select a patron deity whose alignment is no more than one step different from yours.

There you go page 26. I have a particularly effective paladin of Sune in my campaign at this time. Currently the priests and priestesses of Sune are working on a Holy Avenger just for her

Once again pg 26 FR3E

The Jungland wastes are not to be travelled lightly......

Well i'm not so certain now.
Sorry to give a wrong information, where did the hell i found Sune hasn't any Palladins?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  05:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune is Chaotic? I would have thought her more Neutral Good . . . .

And Mongoose, most of the modern druids don't sacrifice anymore, what with those pesky laws against such things . . . . But even so, I doubt that they're what you're looking for anyway.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  23:43:43  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Zemd, that Sune thing would take most anyone by surprise. Before the 3e came out I had a knightly order of sune but it did not contain any paladins, only fighters and crusaders from 2e. They were named the Order of the Satin Chamber. I just love the paradox of an order of warriors fighting for the goddess of Beauty. Despite it all, they ARE a force to be reconned (sp) with.

When I saw 3e allowed PALADINS (!!!!) of sune, I was thrilled. The highest ranking paladin of sune in my game now is a woman named Kiallara. As a balancing factor, for 3e I retain the Charisma requirements from 1st edition. Of course the paladin still has to be Lawful good.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  02:09:43  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araushnee:
quote:

I'd say Lloth commands total fear from her followers.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  04:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As a balancing factor, for 3e I retain the Charisma requirements from 1st edition.

Hey, that's a good idea. For a paladin or cleric of Sune, replace Wisdom with Charisma. That seems more in tune with Sunian philosophy. Remember Adon in Shadowdale?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  11:50:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

As a balancing factor, for 3e I retain the Charisma requirements from 1st edition.

Hey, that's a good idea. For a paladin or cleric of Sune, replace Wisdom with Charisma. That seems more in tune with Sunian philosophy. Remember Adon in Shadowdale?

But it's not in agreement (eng?) with how divine magic work. Intelligence for wizards because they learn, wisdom for divine caster because they need to 'seek the spells in them' ( sorry Hamlet) and Charisa for Sorceror because they feel the magic, it's innate
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  11:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was just a spur-of-the-moment thought. After all, you can't rise high in Sune's service without a high Charisma level -- which in this case means good looks. After all, when was the last time you saw an ugly Sunian cleric?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  12:13:29  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adon had only a charisma of 13. And in an Faces of Deception there a CLeric of Sune that should have no more than 4 or 5.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  12:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. Drats. Another idea blown.

A Charsima of 13 is still good -- it's got a bunus to it, and Adon wasn't stunningly handsome . . . but four or five? Were you talking about the rich guy who's really ugly and wants Sune to "cure" him? Because while I haven't read the book, I don't think he was a cleric.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  21:17:15  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do beleive it was BECAUSE Adon had such a low Charisma that he lost contact with Sune. 13 still has a bonus, and that is good enough in MY campaign to play a priest of sune. But Adon, failed as a cleric of sune BECAUSE he was scarred eventually and no longer pretty. In faces of deception, it sounds like the low charisma was a plot device.

Adon really annoyed me in those books. I was really hoping Cyric was going to drown him when they were in the boat.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  10:19:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Adon is very annoying sometimes. But in Prince of Lies and Crucible, IMO he becomes a very interesting character.
And i thought that in faces of deception the main character was a cleric.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  17:03:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually your right, Adon DID redeem himslef a bit in Crucible and Prince of Lies. Just imagine this though, you and three of your friends go on a world trip. 3 of your friends become gods. You are still mortal. Adon sure did get SHANKED. Probably because he was such a whiner.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  17:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, Mournblade makes points I never thought of. I had pondered on the fact that three people who had adventured together had all become gods in the Realms, but I never once considered it from the point of view of the one guy who got left behind . . . .

That would really suck, I think.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  00:28:11  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's his point of view, after all at the end of the trilogy he doesn't think gods deserve be worshiped. Furthermore i think he understands that Cyric and Kelemvor aren't so much favored (there portfolios aren't the easiest to handle with) and at last, he become the patriarch of Mystra, and when he'll die he know that he'll have a good place near the goddess in her realm
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  00:39:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a very good point Zemd. It probably wasn't his point of view.

He is the High Patriarch of Mystra so that is a pretty good position to be in.

But he is STILL a whiner.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  02:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, he didn't seem a whiner but a non-stop talker. Adon was an awesome character and out of the four, he was my second favorite other behind Kelemvor.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  12:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Kelemvor was someone you could really identify with . . . he had that huge mercenary attitude at the start, but it never seemed quite right to me. He seemed so pushy about a "reward" -- not payment, but a reward. That seemed suspicious to me.

In reality, he was scared of the indescriminent killing he would be forced to do if he did something for free. He wasn't afraid of killing -- he made his living as a warrior, after all -- but of doing it with out purpose and without memory. And it wasn't even his fault -- it was a messed-up, backfired curse that flipped when his ancestor passed it on to his son.

Now there's a hard life. No matter how much you want to, you can't do something for nothing. You can never give anyone a gift for no other reason than the fact that you like that person. If you do, you loose control and kill someone. Scary.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  14:34:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

He wasn't afraid of killing -- he made his living as a warrior, after all -- but of doing it with out purpose and without memory.

I think he was more afraid to kill an innocent than kill someone without memory. Once he killed a Zhentilar so he didn't feel any remorse
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  16:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't have my own copies of the books . . . I was just working off the top of my head. Though I was just refreshed on that front by the fact that I just found out that I own the comic book version of Shadowdale.

I hadn't known this before; I'd picked it up in a big ol' comic book sale ($30 for all you can put in a particualr sized box), saw the TSR logo, and stuffed it in so I could get back to hunting before all the good stuff was gone. It just says "Avatar #1" on it. No Forgotten Realms or Dungeons & Dragons; just TSR to connect it. I just found it again and when I pulled it out of the plastic sheath I realized what it was.

A year and a half since I got it, and I only just figured it out . . . .

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 14 Apr 2003 12:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  01:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I thought I'd delve back into the scrolls and found this one to be interesting. My favorite is Bane the black hand of Faerun. I've always been fascinated by evil gods that plot to take over the realms. Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  02:09:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.

He's dead, Jim.

You can find plenty of info on him in the 2E book Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  02:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Don't hear much about Bhaal though. Anybody got the lowdown on him.

He's dead, Jim.

You can find plenty of info on him in the 2E book Faiths & Avatars.

There's a update for the supposed remnants of the clergy of Bhaal in DRAGON #322 as part of the "Deathstalker" PrC.

But that's pretty much it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  03:08:42  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I think you misunderstand. I do not mistake Sune for anything other than the Goddess of Physical beauty! With beauty and red hair, I wouldn't care WHAT she was the goddess of.
and what better girlfriend to have then A paladin of SUNE!!!!

Amen brother, amen!

My personal favorites would be Mystra, Selune or Mielikki. If an elf I'd definitely go with Sehanin moonbow though. I'm sure many can see the pattern here.

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page